• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cell phone USB Inspection Camera Review

themechanic

Oklahoma is OK
Local time
11:58 PM
Reaction score
I bought this USB inspection camera on Amazon for $17. The cable is about 3-4 ft long with an adjuster wheel inline to dim the light. It has bright LEDs on the tip around the lens. It comes with some attachments so you can hook onto stuff. There is a QR code on the back of the instruction page you scan with your cell phone to download the USB cam app. You need a QR code reader on your phone. I used the one from Norton Security; it's free and let's you know if the QR code is safe. Once the USB cam app is installed just plug the camera into the cell phone and the app will recognize it. The app has settings and the ability to take a snapshot of what you're looking at. Here's a link to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5KQ8DQ.

I used this today to check my oil pickup to pan clearance. The oil pickup to pan clearance can be checked with the pan installed and the pan empty, of course.
Here's a photo I took inside the pan looking through the drain hole using the USB camera and my cell phone:

2017-03-25-15-09-49.jpg

I can think of a lot of other uses for this thing. Check your ear wax, look under a cabinet for stuff that rolled underneath, see what's clogging the sink drain, etc. I'd say it's worth the price even if you use it for fun.

Last edited:
Nice review, thanks. Not trying to hijack your post - but these cameras are very useful and worth buying at this price.

I bought the one that a lot of members got into a year or so back from China...similar price and similar results.
Here is the inside of my chainsaw - only has about 3 hours work on it - cheap Chinese engine, so bores are quite rough;
upload_2017-3-26_9-54-53.png

I also found it useful looking for the part number on my KONI shocks for another member recently;
upload_2017-3-26_9-56-31.png

Agree I bought one with a 15 foot cable when I was rebuilding a Rotary engine. It made inspection super nice. I didnt have to tear the engine apart to find a stuck Apex seal. Popped the camera in the spark plug hole and started filming as I rotated the engine. Brought up each of the apex seals and found the one that was stuck.

I bought one of these off ebay for my laptop and i couldn't get it to work. Great tool to have.

I bought mine off of amazon as well. I did a trial run and looked in my nose. Won't do that ever again

I bought this USB inspection camera on Amazon for $17. The cable is about 3-4 ft long with an adjuster wheel inline to dim the light. It has bright LEDs on the tip around the lens. It comes with some attachments so you can hook onto stuff. There is a QR code on the back of the instruction page you scan with your cell phone to download the USB cam app. You need a QR code reader on your phone. I used the one from Norton Security; it's free and let's you know if the QR code is safe. Once the USB cam app is installed just plug the camera into the cell phone and the app will recognize it. The app has settings and the ability to take a snapshot of what you're looking at. Here's a link to Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5KQ8DQ.

I used this today to check my oil pickup to pan clearance. The oil pickup to pan clearance can be checked with the pan installed and the pan empty, of course.
Here's a photo I took inside the pan looking through the drain hole using the USB camera and my cell phone:

View attachment 407474

I can think of a lot of other uses for this thing. Check your ear wax, look under a cabinet for stuff that rolled underneath, see what's clogging the sink drain, etc. I'd say it's worth the price even if you use it for fun.
Yea, save yourself a ton of money, give yourself a colonoscopy, think about the money you could save and invest in to your mopar!!! pwDave

Auto Transport Service
Back