• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center Console Lighting

Rick69

Local time
5:15 AM
Reaction score
Hey all,
Looking into why there are no lights at the center console on a 1969 Coronet.
I removed the shifter cover and discovered there is no harness coming into the console.
There is the short harness with the two interior light sockets and the socket for the shift indicator lamp. The connector is 4 pin with 6 wires.
  • Any ideas on where I can find the missing harness?
  • Where does the harness connect to under the dash? Or should it be running to one of the kick panels. I looked behind the driver's kick panel. There isn't any open connector there.
  • Where can I purchase a new harness.
I'm thinking it should look like the long wire in the attached photo.
Grateful for any help.
Thanks and apologies if this question has already been asked for a Coronet.
Ricky

IMG_2845.JPG IMG_E2847.JPG

Classic, Year One and Dante's carry the console harness. I just got one from Dante's. The harness runs under the carpet over to the drivers harness cover under the sill plate.

Tommy white, partshound.net. good guy to deal with, knows his stuff.

Second Tommy White, i got exactly that cable from him.

I put in a call to Tommy. He is under the weather right now.

Even if I get the cable I am still uncertain where it will connect. This is what I am seeing behind the kick panel.

IMG_2849.JPG

Some pics of the cable when I removed all my electrical.
The screwdriver points towards where the small ground cable is screwed down into the floor.

Im trying to remember how it was connected behind the kick panel......

IMG_20191006_092641_resized_20220526_071817207.jpg IMG_20191006_091147_resized_20220526_071817613.jpg

There is a connecter behind the kick and then the yellow wire plus into a yellow connecter under the dash.

I got a call back from Tommy last night. He is sending me the cables I need along with instructions on where to make the connections.
He said the cable runs underneath the driver's seat, under the sill plate, past the parking brake and up into the dash. Eventually ending at the fuse box.
He is a great resource.
Thank you everyone for the help.

Let us know how it goes on your 69. Here is how it is on a 70. Every Mopar made from 1962 to 1976 has a pink and yellow pigtail coming from the main dash harness going down to the kick panel where it connects to the dome light harness. The console harness connects there. Pink is constant un-switch hot and yellow is the ground going to the door jam and headlight switches. There should be an orange wire also coming from the main harness that is from the dash lights. I seriously doubt that yours goes all the way back across the dash to the fuse block at the back of the glove box. When you pull out the wiring at the kick you'll probably see that you don't need an instruction sheet to install this simple harness.
upload_2022-5-27_5-40-54.jpeg

I got a call back from Tommy last night. He is sending me the cables I need along with instructions on where to make the connections.
He said the cable runs underneath the driver's seat, under the sill plate, past the parking brake and up into the dash. Eventually ending at the fuse box.
He is a great resource.
Thank you everyone for the help.

I got this from a guy who works on Chargers

At the console you should have a wiring harness that has three lamps and a connection for the back up switch. This harness has a 6 pin male connector. The six pins terminate as follows:

The shifter light has an orange wire (E2-180, where the 0 stands for orange) and a black wire. This orange wire terminates at the fuse box on the output side of the instrument feed fuse. The black wire runs to chassis ground after passing through the 6 pin male harness connector. The lug to be screwed to the floor pan is actually part of the long console cable that runs back to a connector near the emergency brake.

The console courtesy lamps have yellow (M2-18Y) and pink (M1-18P) wires running to then. The pink wire terminates on the fuse box on the output side of the dome light feed fuse. The yellow wire is spliced into the yellow door switch wire near the emergency brake.

The wires running to the back up lamp switch are violet (B2-18V) and violet with a white tracer (B1-18V*). The violet wire can be tapped into the violet wire in the body wiring harness. This can be done fairly easily where the body cable connects to the dash harness near the emergency brake. The violet with a white tracer (B1 18V*) connect in the dash harness at the radio connection to a red wire (X12-18R*) which terminates at the fuse box on the output side of the radio and back up light fuse. This is the first fuse. You can run your violet wire directly to the fuse if you choose.

Question. Is that first pic showing inside of the console of your car? Cars built after 11/15/1968 had the reverse light switch on the tranny. Cars built before that the reverse light switch is on the shifter which I don't see in your pic. Tommy's instructions is talking about the violet wire for the reverse light switch. Did he ask you when your car was built? Did he send you the right harness?

I have not reserved the cable yet. With the holiday weekend I may not see it until Tuesday.
Wish everyone a fun, safe Memorial Day.

Hey guys,
The center console harness arrived from Tommy (Parts Hound) this morning. Now that I see it I have a better understanding of how it fits in.
Plus, Tommy tags all the ends with notes.
Appreciate everyone's suggestions.

IMG_2863.JPG

I've got the harness installed. The long orange wire goes to the back of the fuse box on the output side of the instrument panel fuse. You need this to light up the gear indicator in the console.
All lights now work as they should.

Moparmarks, it looks like you may have spliced into the panel lights wire behind the kick panel. I see a scotch lock.

It has been a few years since I was into a 69 dash. 1970 must have been the first year that they started putting these 3 tap terminals into the dash harness. All my 70-up cars have them. An orange one for dash lights. Pink one for unswitched power and a yellow one for dome light ground. The earlier cars don't have them.
1654099081906.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back