• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Center console removal?

jmbass98

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
Is there a step-by-step on how to remove the '66 full-length center console? Doing some wiring fixes. I really do not want to break anything, so I'd like to be sure.

My 69 was like this. Open console door two screws and remove shift plate. Then two screws up front, two screws in front of console opening and two screws in console compartment. There can be a hidden screw left front corner that is hidden in the carpet. It goes into the front bracket horizontally. Depending on transmission there might be wires to the shift indicator. Two console lights to unplug. And if there is a lighter in the rear of the console that unplugs. Console should then lift right out.

A 66 is quite different. Probably easiest if you just remove the the front portion screws and slightly and gently jacked it up to gain some access. Otherwise you're digging into the rear carpets to remove the rear body of the console. I don't recommend trying to separate them

66 Charger right?

If your wiring can be accessed by just removing the console top plate and arm rest assy you would be better off than trying to remove the console body.

If you are only wiring you only need to remove the console lid. Remove the shifter knob which is held in place with an allen screw. Open the console door lid. There are 2 screws that hold the console lid. Remove them and slide the lid back off the front bracket. You may have to move the shifter to R-N to do this. Slide the lid off the shifter and you will see the wiring harness.

1966plysathp2ptr 067.jpg

4 Philips screws hold the armrest lid assembly down.
Then the 2 for the front plate

Auto Transport Service
Back