• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Centerforce clutch problems. Any one have any ideas?

Jessejames

Local time
1:21 PM
Reaction score
Just recently did an engine swap on my 69 charger. It needed a new clutch as well. Purchased a new dual friction clutch when the new motor went in. Just recently put everything togather and pedal doesn't feel right. I've done more than a few of these over the years and something is not right.

Very stiff when pushing in the clutch and pedal doesn't go all the way to the floor. It goes approximately 3/4 of the distance, and definitely cant touch the floor board with pedal. Adjusted the clutch with 1in of free play and the car won't down shift. It now has very little free play and it down shifts now.

The spring under the dash was disconnected which I've done on everyone I've done. There are no problems with the linkage. I've crawled under the car and checked to see if I can spin the disc which it does. Called centerforce and they tell me to pull it and send it in. I just got done putting this thing together and really don't want to do that. Before I did... I'd figured I would reach out to the guys here to see if anyone had similar issues or advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Double check the free play down below between the throw-out bearing and pressure plate.. The throwout-bearing should be about 0.25" away from the pressure plate....

Just my $0.02...

It sounds like something is broke or disconnected inside the bell housing. Are you sure you put the disc in correctly and it’s not backwards and the hub bottoming out on the flywheel. Is the hub with the springs facing the pressure plate?

Yeah, disks will fit backwards (as me how I know).

Double check the free play down below between the throw-out bearing and pressure plate.. The throwout-bearing should be about 0.25" away from the pressure plate....

Just my $0.02...
1/4" away? That seems like a lot, or maybe I have mine all set to close?

It sounds like something is broke or disconnected inside the bell housing. Are you sure you put the disc in correctly and it’s not backwards and the hub bottoming out on the flywheel. Is the hub with the springs facing the pressure plate?
Thank you for the reply... I would think if I did that there would be other problems like noise from springs hitting something inside. I have nothing like that.

I broke the fork pivot once and the symptoms were similar

Yes, if you’re pretty sure the disc is in right I would suspect a broken fork mount, fork not mounted on TO bearing correctly or even something amiss with the TO bearing itself.

It is kind of hard to see, but check if the top spring clip of the throwout bearing is hooked in the clutch fork. You will have to get a mirror and flashlight in there to see it.

1/4" away? That seems like a lot, or maybe I have mine all set to close?
Key point is this clearance will decrease as the clutch wears.. 1/8" to 1/4" should be fine. If there is not enough clearance for the throw-out bearing, it will wear down the pressure plate fingers possibly causing the clutch to slip. If all of the clutch link system is in good condition then adjusting just free-play up above may be OK. But my preference is to pull the inspection plate and check for this..

Just my $0.02....

Auto Transport Service
Back