• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ceramic Tile

steve from staten island

Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Question. Ive had some floor tile work done in my house. Once in the kitchen we're we put radiant heat in floor and tile over it. Did a mud job, floor is perfect
In basement the tile guy laid what i thing was a thin coat of a type of cement to get the floor smoother. Then thin set and tile
My friend is having a tile job in kitchen, he has linoleum tiles or one piece floor i dont know but the tile guy does not want to pull it up. He wants to nail mesh down and use some kind of self leveling cement and then tile over that. Any thoughts?

Sounds odd to me. Always go to subfloor if want my opinion. I would think you'll have cracked tile and grout in no time since the floor below would be unstable.

If the underlayment is nailed down, I don't see an issue. If not, it could seperate, and cause the tile to come loose.

If in doubt, pull up the linoleum.

Question. Ive had some floor tile work done in my house. Once in the kitchen we're we put radiant heat in floor and tile over it. Did a mud job, floor is perfect
In basement the tile guy laid what i thing was a thin coat of a type of cement to get the floor smoother. Then thin set and tile
My friend is having a tile job in kitchen, he has linoleum tiles or one piece floor i dont know but the tile guy does not want to pull it up. He wants to nail mesh down and use some kind of self leveling cement and then tile over that. Any thoughts?

Yeah
Bobtile
I have always heard (I own 4 homes, 3 rentals) build upon the linoleum!
Ask Bobtile, AKA Julienne finger dude

Yeah
Bobtile
I have always heard (I own 4 homes, 3 rentals) build upon the linoleum!
Ask Bobtile, AKA Julienne finger dude
Hopefully they are not one-inch Mosaic tiles Steve....Bob had trouble with them....

upload_2018-8-18_13-59-58.png

:lol:

Better check the floor load rating before adding any self leveling concrete. Most require a 2 inch pour depth.

I've put tile over linoleum many times I've never had issues just clean up any loose edges ! But if he would feel better it was up home Depot sells the log handle scraper it is amazing !

I've put tile over linoleum many times I've never had issues just clean up any loose edges ! But if he would feel better it was up home Depot sells the log handle scraper it is amazing !
You sitting the tile on a mortor bed or tile mastic?

Now I am in FL and it's always on a single story home so you need to take that in to consideration. I don't have the temp change like up north that might cause issue but not seeing the linoleum going to make a difference

Now I am in FL and it's always on a single story home so you need to take that in to consideration. I don't have the temp change like up north that might cause issue but not seeing the linoleum going to make a difference
Good coat of wax so mortor doesnt bond. I have seen tile grouted on a compacted sand bed that had been there for years with no problems.

The mesh is probably overkill if they are using a polyelastemer self leveling floor compound. The biggest issue with that stuff, is cost. It's about $50 dollars a bag and depending on the square footage can cost more than it would to demo the linoleum and use a thinset leveler. I used to do commercial floors years ago and we would use it in lew of tearing up old asbestos tiles that required expensive remediation equipment to remove. Because it contains the plastic compound it is very resistant to flex and makes a good tile base with as little as 1/8 inch thickness.

With laying tile over linoleum it needs to be scuffed really good. I’m not fond of doing it that way cause there could be air pockets under it and that can cause the tiles or grout to crack.

Best thing to do is rip off the linoleum and put down cement board if going over a wood sub floor or scuff the cement to get all the old glue/adhesive of and go from there.

My guy put a new floor on top of the lino, using leveling compound. Because the lino was from the 70's and likely had asbestos in it, he said it would cost too much to pull up.

My guy put a new floor on top of the lino, using leveling compound. Because the lino was from the 70's and likely had asbestos in it, he said it would cost too much to pull up.
Dont know about there but here the home owner can despose of about anything with few questions asked. Just have to bag it.
But yes as a contrator, one big pain in the a**.

Dont know about there but here the home owner can despose of about anything with few questions asked. Just have to bag it.
But yes as a contrator, one big pain in the a**.
Even if a private individual can dispose of the flooring, the act of removing it can and likely will release asbestos dust into the air. Then the adhesive on the floor has to be removed with hot water and scrapers, no grinding or sanding. And after all that, it will still likely need some leveling compound before the new floor goes on.

Even if a private individual can dispose of the flooring, the act of removing it can and likely will release asbestos dust into the air. Then the adhesive on the floor has to be removed with hot water and scrapers, no grinding or sanding. And after all that, it will still likely need some leveling compound before the new floor goes on.
Heat gun and scraper. Lots faster than the hot water mess removing adhesives.
I have used that method for replacement of commercial floor tiles many times. Heat the adhesive just enough to make it soft. Burn it and there are fumes to deal with.

Auto Transport Service
Back