• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chain saw recommendations

Red63440

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Looking to purchase a chainsaw with at least a 16” bar. Lots of choices to pick from so I thought I would run it past you all.
Thanks!

Stihl MS 180 with a 16'' blade.Have friends back east that sell fire wood and Stihl is all they use.

Most will recommend a Stihl, we have a couple and they are really good.
I have a Husqvarna as well that has been a really good saw and it's really good on gas and has good anti-vibration.
Jonsered and Echo I hear are good as well but haven't run any of those.

Have a 028 Stihl I bought used 30 years ago. Powerful, but not overly heavy. I believe the new ones are built in China. So once again, an old used tool in good shape will outlast a brand new one. The shop I go to has a list on the wall, they won't even work on them.

I have used only Stihl premix oil. When I put it away for the season, I warm it up and empty the tank. Then I run it dry.

I have a Stihl 026 Pro. It is a good saw and If it gives up I will get another Stihl. I like the Pro version with the decompression valve to make it easier to start.

I have a Stihl (1 year old) and a Husqvarna (20 years old and no problems). I like them both, but I like the Stihl a bit more. Not sure why.

I'll post the model numbers tonight when I'm home.

Just in time for winter!

RawAlienatedCricket-max-1mb.gif

d56701bcb0b1eb62fe2b0ce27d759d7a.gif

I have the MS 261 C-M and the MS 661 Magnum C-M and recommend the M-Tronic versions ( no carb jets to adjust )
They also keep track of actual run time and how many starts have been made

Last edited:
Depends on what you're doing. I only trim up trees and occasionally cut down a 12-in tree I occas ionally.
With that in mind I have the DeWalt 40 v with a 16 inch bar with two batteries. With the sharp chain I can cut between a quarter and a half Rick before a battery change.And I'm happy with it.

Only ONE choice.. unless you have more than one! My Son has a Husqvarna... I hate it. Balance just sucks..

I have had an 026 that has run flawless, never been in for service, for 31 years and an MS391 that's now about 10 years old. Flawless... other than the time I dropped a 38" maple on it... and even that only bent the bar and broke the kick back brake handle off.
kristalmushroomlogs 003.JPG

Last edited:
Can't understand why nobody mentioned Stihl :rolleyes:

I had one for many years. Sometimes it would sit for a couple of seasons. It always fired up even with stale gas. Well built too.

I had a tree fall spring 2020. Pushed down from a rare strong wind from the NE after soaking rains. 24" trunk 90' high Ash tree. I went to one of the cities biggest chainsaw/small engine service companies since I knew my VERY long in the tooth 16" Stihl MS-150 would struggle with this job. Was looking at many brands with the young sales clerk. Explaining the job. Stihl had just come out with their new MS 262C (with their updated ignition.) When I saw an old guy sitting there listning and wearing a dirty store smock. I naturally gravitated towards him. He said he has been working small engine repairs and chainsaw maintenance his whole career. So I said. "What do you think?" He said first. "There is Stihl? And then there is everything else. Saying "Husqvarna has closed the gap. But still a step down." He then said. "The size of tree you described? You will be happier with a bigger saw than the MS 262C." He then brought out a MS-362C. Explained that this 20" bar saw has same ignition updates as the 262C. But on a heavier higher HP Pro platform. I asked. "Why isn't this saw on the rack and also advertised?" He said. "We just got our first 3." I bought that saw after feeling the weight and power difference. And that Ash tree stood no chance against that saw.

Just reporting my latest chainsaw experience.

I have one like this you can put a 24" bar on it no problem.
But it's a dangerous beast.
s-l1600.jpg

I have one like this you can put a 24" bar on it no problem.
But it's a dangerous beast.
View attachment 1201294

I had one of those, it was set up as a chop saw. Very old

Somebody told me that was the one to change saws. Running, they threw it on top of a wood pile at a trade show. It bounced all the way to the ground and was still running. Stihl had set a bar.

Auto Transport Service
Back