• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

change to manual pilot bushing

tlt23

Local time
12:58 PM
Reaction score
I have everything out and all parts acquired.

I am trying to get the pilot bushing in the crank hole and have split 2 pilot bushing trying to get them in. What am I doing wrong. This is the last thing I have to do is get the clutch/pilot bearing in.

from what I remember is that you either have a crank that has the hole for manual or not. Is this right, or is there a different crank with a hole for auto too.

What happens if I dont put the pilot busing in?

PLEASE help. let me know if you need pictures.

Thanks to all your knowledge.

Todd

I have everything out and all parts acquired.

I am trying to get the pilot bushing in the crank hole and have split 2 pilot bushing trying to get them in. What am I doing wrong. This is the last thing I have to do is get the clutch/pilot bearing in.

from what I remember is that you either have a crank that has the hole for manual or not. Is this right, or is there a different crank with a hole for auto too.

What happens if I dont put the pilot busing in?

PLEASE help. let me know if you need pictures.

Thanks to all your knowledge.

Todd
On some of the cranks that had automatic transmissions behind them they had the hole for the pilot bushing but it wasn't reamed to proper size. I believe NAPA used to have a correct bushing (615-1033) with a smaller od that would fit in the unreamed crankshafts. Here is a link to bushing I am talking about.

Undersize Pilot Bushing for Mopar 4-Speed .915" Dodge Plymouth Chrysler 340 440 | eBay

Last edited:
Also some like to cut the end of the transmission input shaft and use a pilot bearing rather than a pilot bushing. I would look for that Napa bushing first if that's the case. Would be better than cutting the input shaft.

I believe Brewers sell a bearing and housing that goes in to were the torque converter snout went.
I think I got one from Mega Parts come to think on it.

1995 DODGE DAKOTA 5.2L V8 Clutch Pilot Bearing | RockAuto

Here's the late model bearing, used by Mopar and Jeep, maybe others. No need to cut the input shaft if the crank is drilled. You'll need to order the one that includes the housing and the needle bearings because it goes where the torque converter snout goes, not in the drilled hole. FC69907.

Next you need to verify that your undersized pilot hole is drilled deeply enough, in the end of your crankshaft, to accept the 833 input shaft without bottoming out as you fasten it to the bell housing. The one in my '69 383 wasn't. To keep this story short, I elected to grind about 3/8" from the 833 input shaft.

You do need a bushing or bearing on that input shaft otherwise you will destroy the clutch and gearbox in short order.

Thank you all for the great info. I was able to get the bearing from NAPA, they didn't have any of the smaller pilot bushings. I checked the depth of the shaft and the crank and I don't have to shave anything.

I don't have an alignment tool, that is the next part of the quest how to align it without that and what is the easiest way to get it in the car without a trans jack only sitting 2 feet from the ground.

What is the best way to align it all and make it slide in smooth?

Again thank you all.

Thank you all for the great info. I was able to get the bearing from NAPA, they didn't have any of the smaller pilot bushings. I checked the depth of the shaft and the crank and I don't have to shave anything.

I don't have an alignment tool, that is the next part of the quest how to align it without that and what is the easiest way to get it in the car without a trans jack only sitting 2 feet from the ground.

What is the best way to align it all and make it slide in smooth?

Again thank you all.
Buy an alignment tool. Or wrestle with it, suffer, break something, and then go buy an alignment tool. There is a reason some tools are manufactured.....

If you ever have to install another bushing, here is what I do to make life a little easier. I modified my steering wheel puller a bit to fit the crank holes. Then throw the bushing in your freezer for a couple of hours before installing.

20211113_091839.jpg

I once bought a new pilot bushing when doing an engine swap. I had it turned down on the O.D. with a lathe to fit the hole in the automatic crankshaft.

This dial indicator is around $37 amazon. You need a magnetic base or something to hold it.
dail.JPG

put the bushing in the freezer for 24 hours then try

Can you get someone or a machine shop to turn down bushing to the right OD?

Thank you all again.
I am in need of the length that the new driveline should be. I don't have the big yoke so ordered it, but checking to see if anyone who has done this knows off hand what it should be.

I do appreciate all the help, trying to get this shipped by aug...

Thank you all again.
I am in need of the length that the new driveline should be. I don't have the big yoke so ordered it, but checking to see if anyone who has done this knows off hand what it should be.

I do appreciate all the help, trying to get this shipped by aug...
So how did you get the pilot bushing in?

all I need help now with the neutral safety switch. now that it is a stick what do I do with the cable that went to the transmission that goes to the firewall?

I was going to buy one from Brewers, but they are out until after next week. Can I cut the trans side, put pig tails on it and plug them into the trans just to get it running and move onto a trailer to ship?

Everything is in, except the starter that is going in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back