• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changes in Boys' Names over the Decades

My wife works retail, so they get a good turnover of young people. She will use their name, and I laugh, she says don't laugh they did not pick it, it was their parents. I'm still laughing!

My name seems to be only popular in the early 20th century in Scotland. I am named after my grandfather, and he was named for his grandfather. In North America, the name became associated with a cartoon duck that wore no pants, so that's likely why it was never popular.

use to go to a restaurant way back in the seventies when I got home from Nam was called Poor Richards Pub owners name was Dick Head ,was a good place at one time it was the Hoop
1955-HOOP-AD.jpg
names come and go just fashion and business

Last edited:
Mike was at the top or near it post-war for 20 years. Now Mike is in the same class as Jebediah, Archibald, Herbert, Mortimer, Percival, etc.
And the world turns...
Michael was still top 10 as of 2010...

I can about guarantee one thing:
If a fella ever introduces himself to me as "Maverick ____", I will not be able to keep
a straight face.
:lol:

My name seems to be only popular in the early 20th century in Scotland. I am named after my grandfather, and he was named for his grandfather. In North America, the name became associated with a cartoon duck that wore no pants, so that's likely why it was never popular.
I dunno, I kinda liked the last famous fella with that moniker. :)

Thanks for listing Dan as the common nickname for Daniel and not Danny. I outgrew Danny about 60+ years ago. Once made the tag office reissued a car title because the numbskull 20 year old idiot/smartass clerk put Danny on the title. I took it down and told them to change it as my name was not Danny - I couldn’t even write that out without pausing to think about it.

Thanks for listing Dan as the common nickname for Daniel and not Danny. I outgrew Danny about 60+ years ago. Once made the tag office reissued a car title because the numbskull 20 year old idiot/smartass clerk put Danny on the title. I took it down and told them to change it as my name was not Danny - I couldn’t even write that out without pausing to think about it.

I get Donny/Donnie lots at work, but Don from people who don't know me as well. My mother was the only one who really called me Donald, and that usually meant I was in trouble. I did know one Don through work who would literally fly into a rage if you called him Donny, and he was a fairly large man, so we didn't. :D However, the people who ask for a "name for the order" and whatnot, who spell my name "Dawn", well, the urge to just come over the counter ... :mob:

My mother hated her name Bertha. But, she was Betty or Liz (Beth) from friends and family. In HS, btw my 1st and last name, people had a blast with nicknames such as 'the flying hamburger man' after the Mac's mascot arrived. Last name was yet more fun for the groups.

Notice Charles is not on any of the lists! In 1970 I worked at a design office and I was one of seven! When somebody said Charlie half the group stopped work! I credit the dearth of Charles to Prince Charles. I think nobody wants to be associated with him! But how many little girls are named Charlotte after the Princess. Charlotte who lives next to me is named after me, Charley!
Buddy of mine since grade school (mid 60's) is named Charles and one day I called him Charlie within ear shot of his mom. Boy, did she set me straight. "HIS HAME IS CHARLES AND NOT CHARLIE AND DON'T EVER CALL HIM THAT AGAIN!" LOL Heck, I thought she was about to take a belt to me!

Interesting topic moparedtn. Didn’t see Fred or Chad on the list…or mine, lol. Some may have asked their folks why they gave their offspring their handles. Some like to name them after beloved old or deceased relatives or swap middle to first names. My mother named me after a movie star she had a crush on; not Ronald Reagan, Coleman from the 30’s, lol. Few probably remember him. Was close to being named Steve; but she encountered a co-worker by the name she thought was an asshole, so that was tossed. Then wow, my niece gave her boy the middle name of Xavier! Huh? Some should obtain some counseling before choosing their kid’s names. Lol.

Then recall the tune by Johnny Cash…”Boy named Sue"
Beat me to it lol

How about Mike Hunt? If anyone doesn't get it, say it fast a couple of times. :D Some years back I called the dealership where a buddy of mine worked and 'his' secretary answered the phone so I did it. 'Hey, can you page a Mike Hunt that's there getting a quote on a couple of work trucks. I need to talk to him before he closes a deal.' My buddy got on the phone and asked who I was (he already knew) and said most of the dealership was rolling over lol. After being on hold for about 5 minutes she came back on the phone and said no one was answering to the page and man, I had a hard time keeping my composure!

And then there are those of us without a formal "nickname", who would answer to many other "descriptive" nicknames, like "Dimbulb", "Dipshit", "Dumbass". "Sh-thead", "Zipperhead", "Asswipe"," Numbnuts",
"A-hole", "Dumbutt", Etc,Etc.........! As long as they are looking at you when the "name" is used, you know it's You!
:lol:

How about Mike Hunt? If anyone doesn't get it, say it fast a couple of times. :D Some years back I called the dealership where a buddy of mine worked and 'his' secretary answered the phone so I did it. 'Hey, can you page a Mike Hunt that's there getting a quote on a couple of work trucks. I need to talk to him before he closes a deal.' My buddy got on the phone and asked who I was (he already knew) and said most of the dealership was rolling over lol. After being on hold for about 5 minutes she came back on the phone and said no one was answering to the page and man, I had a hard time keeping my composure!

That is a classic one from the movie "Porky's". Not long after the movie came out someone got the switchboard lady where my mom worked to page "Mike Hunt". Yes, hilarity ensued.

That is a classic one from the movie "Porky's". Not long after the movie came out someone got the switchboard lady where my mom worked to page "Mike Hunt". Yes, hilarity ensued.

Not sure where I heard it first but Porky's was a pretty crazy show and is probably where I heard it! Doubt anything else will be made like that one and the same with Blazing Saddles!

My kid was born 2016. It was a fight with the wife. I wanted Frank as a first name. I like the name. She wasn’t having it. We settled on Landon, and Garry for a middle name in case hates Landon. Garry’s a good name to. **** these new names.

I'd say with almost 100% certainty that after 1945 no one named their child Adolf.

I did some research awhile back that listed how many people currently in the USA had such and such a name. I believe there were more men & boys (total) named "James" overall. Whatever happened to the name "George"?

Last edited:
Hey! My dad was named Donald. He never equated himself with a duck.
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back