• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing a cam - bigger job than I thought

66 Sat

Local time
4:15 PM
Reaction score
I'm putting a bigger cam in my 318 poly. I've paid people in the past to put new cams in my 318LA and a 351 Cleveland. Dropped the car off, picked it up all done. Now I'm doing it myself I realise what a big job it is ( to me). Hats off to you guys who change a cam before lunch. This is a major operation for me, I've had to take out the grille which necessitated removing the bumper. I'm about 4 hours in and I haven't even got the intake or the timing cover off yet! This is on an engine that was running perfectly. I sure hope I don't screw it up!
20200930_180019.jpg

Your this far in and doing well, take your time it isn’t a race! Follow manufacturers directions , reassemble, break in and enjoy your doing good! Just keep it all well organized and clean ! Lots of lube and don’t drop anything.. be sure to use a high zinc engine oil. Keep us posted.

Id come give you a hand but your a little out of my neighborhood, sorry

Do you have a degree wheel?

That can make or break a cam swap.

Just to reinforce YY1's comment.
Can't over emphasize degreeing the cam properly.
For example when we put the engine in my son's 5.9 Magnum together the timing set was 6 degrees retarded.
I checked it 3 times to make sure. Ended up buying a timing set with multiple keyways so we could get it set up correctly.

We can usually pull a whole engine in about 4 hours...
That's OK just stick with it.
I would take the hood off that's usually the first thing I do on a job like that.

Some years back a buddy and I went to the local drag strip for a tune and test session. He wasn't happy with the very high 10 second pass so he decided to advance the cam a tad and did it in the pits. I mostly watched but he did it within 2 hours with very little help from me. Yeah, we didn't have to remove anything from the front of the car and he was very experienced in doing stuff like this. He brought all the tools needed and even brought along a piece of thick cardboard to protect the radiator from getting nicked. Basically, he figured he would be doing this as he was experimenting with the cam setting but thought it might be in the right place to start with. The car improved by a little more than a 10th....

This what we're suppose to call fun!:D Look at it this way your saving money and learning something. Good luck!

Doing mechanic work isn't always quick & easy. Figuring out the process is sometimes tough.

I'm getting someone to come out to degree the cam for me - I figured I would just do the spanner work either side to save money (and I enjoy it). It's going slow because I'm cleaning everything up and repainting while I'm doing it, and I'm working, kids etc. I might have to pull the hood off as access to the distributor is a real bitch, why they didn't design the engine to have it at the front like the big blocks I don't know.

I'm getting someone to come out to degree the cam for me - I figured I would just do the spanner work either side to save money (and I enjoy it). It's going slow because I'm cleaning everything up and repainting while I'm doing it, and I'm working, kids etc. I might have to pull the hood off as access to the distributor is a real bitch, why they didn't design the engine to have it at the front like the big blocks I don't know.
Yeah, that's one of the down sides to a small block...and the internal oil pump, the non cartridge water pump and not having the front mounted oil filter on the external oil pump, not having 5 bolts per cylinder, having a wet intake manifold and.......LOL

I might have to pull the hood off as access to the distributor is a real bitch

That’s because it’s on the wrong side. Better idea may have been to swap out the cam... but take the cam from a big block, plus everything around that big block cam (block, heads, etc) and put the whole thing in. Yeah yeah, I know, transmission blah blah blah, original yada yada yada, cost, mileage, but as good as a 318 is, it ain’t a big block.

I’m just ribbing you. Good for you for taking on a new challenge, it’s hard to appreciate someone’s hard work and expertise until you try to do what they do (I am in the same boat, not much skill and knowledge but I am still learning as I go).

You get a couple pieces of 4 x 4s ect under the front tires you back will thank you if your over 50. :D

You get a couple pieces of 4 x 4s ect under the front tires you back will thank you if your over 50. :D
I was that way in my 40's but much worse now....and made a pair of low rise ramps. Mainly made them for my youngest but she couldn't even drive up on these 4.5" ramps without panicking. Oh well.

Well the cam is finally in (but not degreed in yet, the guy is coming next Saturday). Everything going smoothly (and slowly...).
I put the new timing cover seal in yesterday and it looks like it's got a small area that's deformed. I've checked it by putting the balancer through it and it seems to be ok once there's outward pressure on it but I've ordered another seal and will probably fit that when it arrives next week. Shame as I was careful putting in.
20201016_152607.jpg

We can usually pull a whole engine in about 4 hours...
That's OK just stick with it.
I would take the hood off that's usually the first thing I do on a job like that.
Shoot, man....Installing a complete engine is often easier than deep repairs or modifications.

Shoot, man....Installing a complete engine is often easier than deep repairs or modifications.
We installed the engine and transmission in a few hours. I've spent longer than that cleaning old gaskets off and cleaning and painting the water pump, timing cover, and valve covers.
It took me over an hour today just to clean the cam, dry it, lube it and install it.
20180304_101341.jpg

The only possible problem I haven't seen mentioned is whether the new camshaft is the correct one for the rest of your engine combination. Just performing a camshaft swap doesn't always result in a performance increase. Valve job type, port work, stiffer valve springs, improved exhaust ( headers) exhaust system, intake manifold, carburetor, ignition ..... Whenever you make one change to a system, it usually requires making another change as well. An engine is just an air-pump. It pumps air in and pumps it back out. The goal is to make hthe pump as efficient as possible. The cylinder head is the biggest restriction in the system. Think of it as an hour glass. Open on the top and bottom with a restriction in the middle. The goal is to make the restriction more open so it will flow more sand.
It does look nice, but log manifolds don't flow very well almost looks like a boat (marine type) exhaust manifold.

Auto Transport Service
Back