• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing from a 3 speed to an 833 OD?

ncrobb

Local time
7:56 PM
Reaction score
I have a factory 3 speed trans in my ‘73 Road Runner and am thinking to swap in an 833 OD unit from a mid 1970s to mid 1980s half ton Dodge truck. From what I can tell the lengths and shifter position will work out. The output shaft may have to change but my big concern now is the trans input bearing retainer. Does the OD unit have a larger diameter than the 230 3 speed? It’s a small block so I’m guessing that if needed I could use the bell housing from the truck?

Good luck with swap. Have you considered all the accompanying parts needed?

The input shaft bearing retainer cover is much larger then a standard A833...5.25" I think going off memory. Where as the A833 had a couple different sizes over the years but they were in the 4.5" range. So if you can get the matching bellhousing from a V8 then you should be set. As for output shaft I can't see why you would need to swap it out, I have one in the shop and to stop fluid from running out of the tailshaft I just grabbed an old spare 727 yoke from ??? and slipped it on. You may just need a different yoke assembly and a new U-joint to work with your current drive shaft.

I’ve got one of those transmissions if you’re looking for one.

Mooresville? I’m in Troutman!! I have two that I’ve got a trade worked for, supposed to do the swap this week. I saw one this week on FB Marketplace. Is that yours? Thanks for the offer.

The input shaft bearing retainer cover is much larger then a standard A833...5.25" I think going off memory. Where as the A833 had a couple different sizes over the years but they were in the 4.5" range. So if you can get the matching bellhousing from a V8 then you should be set. As for output shaft I can't see why you would need to swap it out, I have one in the shop and to stop fluid from running out of the tailshaft I just grabbed an old spare 727 yoke from ??? and slipped it on. You may just need a different yoke assembly and a new U-joint to work with your current drive shaft.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Just get a bell housing and call it good. I meant output yoke. Thanks for confirming.

Mooresville? I’m in Troutman!! I have two that I’ve got a trade worked for, supposed to do the swap this week. I saw one this week on FB Marketplace. Is that yours? Thanks for the offer.
No, the one on Facebook is not mine. I was saving it for the swap meet in Farmington and Piedmont Dragway.

That’s what I’ve been thinking. Just get a bell housing and call it good. I meant output yoke. Thanks for confirming.

You can also take your current bell housing to the machine shop and get it cut to fit the new retainer size.

You can also take your current bell housing to the machine shop and get it cut to fit the new retainer size.

You can...but be careful that you don't run into the bolt holes for the pivot point on the throwout bearing arm. I looked into this with a 440 bellhousing and that was one of the issues I found.

Auto Transport Service
Back