• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing oil pan gasket

mpro69rr

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:43 PM
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm changing my oil pan gasket because of leaks to the one piece rubber with windage try. I have to fill in the dimples on the oil pan with RTV and let it dry for 24 - 48 hours. That means my crank and the internals will be exposed for a little while to the outside, do I have to worry about anything if this is done, maybe something like rusting? 69 RR 383 4 speed.

Thanks!
Mpro69RR

My oil pan leaked because of the dimples in the flange. If that's what you have, take a rubber mallet and a block of wood and flatten them out. The pan and windage tray requires two gaskets. Just FYI.

Haven't had very good luck with the one piece gaskets. Try using the Fel-Pro 1808 Performance gaskets. Much better seal and if your ride sits for long periods they don't seem to dry out and leak.
Having the pan off for awhile shouldn't be an issue. Unless it's outside and the wind starts blowing trash around.

Those dimples are there for a reason. To prevent gasket slippage when tightening the pan. A flat pan will squish the gasket out.

Those dimples are there for a reason. To prevent gasket slippage when tightening the pan. A flat pan will squish the gasket out.

Perhaps dimples is the wrong term. If the bolt holes are hooved up, they should be flattened or they will leak. Since repairing that, I've had no leaks in over 4 years.
My gasket has not squished out. I believe I got mine from Mancini Racing.

My oil pan leaked because of the dimples in the flange. If that's what you have, take a rubber mallet and a block of wood and flatten them out. The pan and windage tray requires two gaskets. Just FYI.

Thanks, the rubber gasket has the windage tray built in.

Haven't had very good luck with the one piece gaskets. Try using the Fel-Pro 1808 Performance gaskets. Much better seal and if your ride sits for long periods they don't seem to dry out and leak.
Having the pan off for awhile shouldn't be an issue. Unless it's outside and the wind starts blowing trash around.

Thanks, it will be in a garage so no problems there.

The directions says I need to fill in the dimples with RTV or it will leak.

I think the directions refer to assemble with RTV and let it take a set over night. Let the RTV skim over for about a half hour and then slam it home.

I've used those one piece windage/gaskets on both my last builds. Never any issues after that. I really like them because they are easy to install. In the past I found I had oil pan leaks because my pan flange was not perfectly flat, probably from years of overtightening to stop the leaks. I just bought new oil pans. You won't have any issues with internals being exposed.

Auto Transport Service
Back