• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

changing pumpkins 4:10 to 3:23,your gear choice?

davek

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:56 PM
Reaction score
So I have 4-10 now but want to put the 3-23 back in. the 4-10 are nice but rpms are up there. Do I need to replace the axle bearings? Is anyone using 3-23 in there 4 spd? Is it a dog of the line? burnouts? Both pumpkins are sure grips and I have a 440 in the Bee. Mainly street driving but want to be able to drive on the highway. Back tire is 255/70/15 about 28" high.

440 4 speed here. I swapped my 3.23 for 3.55 as a compromise so I could do some highway.
65mph turns about 2900rpm on this setup, if that helps you.
I run a 275/60/15 rear tire.

Have both 4:10 are what it was built for. 3:23 gears would be great road gears in Texas were the speed Iimit is 80. Not so good at 70.
Engine actually like to run at 3400 and above.

I have the 3:23 in my Road Runner (383/4 speed) and I'm quite happy with it. I turn 2800 RPM at 70 MPH. Wouldn't mind it lower, but I can live with that. I don't do burnouts (tires are too expensive), but I'm sure I could smoke 'em if I wanted to (I did it on my first Road Runner in the same configuration back in '69), but I would not consider it a "dog of the line" by any means.

So I have 4-10 now but want to put the 3-23 back in. the 4-10 are nice but rpms are up there. Do I need to replace the axle bearings? Is anyone using 3-23 in there 4 spd? Is it a dog of the line? burnouts? Both pumpkins are sure grips and I have a 440 in the Bee. Mainly street driving but want to be able to drive on the highway. Back tire is 255/70/15 about 28" high.

Contrary to popular belief, if your 440 is a dog with a 3.23 gear, its not the gear, its your engine. There might be some exceptions, like a really big cammed motor, but generally not for a typical HP street car.

thanks to all I just dont want to be punked by a 5.0 lol

1. If they're in good shape, you don't need to replace the axle bearings. All you need is the pumpkin gasket, axle gaskets & a couple quarts of gear lube with posi additive. I suggest you do change the axle seals while you're at it.
2. 3.23 gears were stock in most cars.
3. Dog off the line, no, unless it has HUGE cam like bsb67 said, but it will launch much softer vs. 4.10's
4. Burnouts? Sure, just rev it up to 4000 rpm and dump the clutch.....as long as your u-joints, clutch, transmission, etc. can handle the jolt. It will be tougher vs. 4.10's
5. Punked by a 5.0? The NEW coyote 5.0's ain't no joke...don't take them lightly.

thanks to all I just dont want to be punked by a 5.0 lol

There is only one thing that makes the car go, it's the engine. Different gear ratios change when the power is applied to the tires. From 0 to 30 mph, the 4.10 will have a theoritical advantage over a 3.23, after that it will be dead even. I say theoretical because traction with a 4.10 on the street with a street tire will cause tire spin and eliminate any real acceleration advantage.

If your intention is stoplight action, a really sticky street and a well developed launch technique will give some advantage over a 3.23. In street terms, it will be less than a 1/2 car length. At the track, about 0.10 seconds in et.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back