• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Changing to an electronic voltage regulator

Red63440

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have the info to change a 64 Fury V8 to a plug in style electronic voltage regulator using a square back alternator.

Last edited:
I used this on my '67. I converted to a serpentine setup that uses a 140amp alternator from a '94 Durango. It works great. Sorry they're blurry, my phonecameralense it cracked.
20210503_152814.jpg
20210503_152825.jpg

Diagram.jpg

I found this and posted if anyone else needs it...pigtails can be purchased on ebay or other places

Watch this before you convert to digital
Totally disagree.
@Red63440 wasn't talking about switching to that conversion style regulator that looks like a points style in the video.
Similarly the alternator he has on the bench is for a 70's style solid state regulator.
I must have had 10 cars with the 70's style solid state regulator never had a problem with any of them.
I converted my Charger at least 25 years ago with a used solid state regulator it's still in there.
And by the way the old points style regulator is not purely analog like Tony says in the video the points opening and closing is a discrete signal.
From my experience there is nothing wrong with upgrading to a more modern regulator and alternator.
Just don't go crazy on the alternator sizing and try and always keep a fully charged battery.
People get into trouble putting a high amperage alternator in an old car with old wiring and then running it with a mostly dead battery using the alternator to charge it back up.
In that situation the alternator puts out way too much current for the old wiring and things melt/burn particularly on the bulkhead.

Most of the replacement regulators for 64's are electronic. Just make sure the regulator frame is properly grounded to the firewall.

Totally disagree.
@Red63440 wasn't talking about switching to that conversion style regulator that looks like a points style in the video.
Similarly the alternator he has on the bench is for a 70's style solid state regulator.
I must have had 10 cars with the 70's style solid state regulator never had a problem with any of them.
I converted my Charger at least 25 years ago with a used solid state regulator it's still in there.
And by the way the old points style regulator is not purely analog like Tony says in the video the points opening and closing is a discrete signal.
From my experience there is nothing wrong with upgrading to a more modern regulator and alternator.
Just don't go crazy on the alternator sizing and try and always keep a fully charged battery.
People get into trouble putting a high amperage alternator in an old car with old wiring and then running it with a mostly dead battery using the alternator to charge it back up.
In that situation the alternator puts out way too much current for the old wiring and things melt/burn particularly on the bulkhead.
IMO...
WHO IS THIS GUY.....what are his qualifications....is he a teacher in a trade school or perhaps a friend or relative sponsors his ramblings allowing him to present, in this instance, inaccuracies.
His innitial premise is incorrect....the origional Mopar mechanical regulator IS A DIGITAL DEVICE. Its either on or off......in digital parlance: 1 = on, 0 = off. That's fundamental. Perhaps, one can equate the mechanical system to a mechanical pulse width modulated system. ANALOG signals respond with a proportional output in response to a variable input (including but not limited to digital), whose output which includes the time function as rate of change of change (proportional + integral + derivative functions) to modify the output to avoid overshoot and cycling. Just my opinion of course...I'm sure others will hsve their own thoughts about this guy.....if you look up the word charlatan in the dictionary, you'll see his picture....
BOB RENTON

Last edited:
Back in the 90's, I went through 4 of those POS's before I went with the newer style regulator. The vendor tried to defend themselves of the quality of their product when it's clearly the opposite! I'll still badmouth those converted little black boxes every chance I get. My advice? Don't Do It!!!!

charging system overview (imperialclub.info)

Auto Transport Service
Back