• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charcoal Canister and Hose Clamps

ODZKing

Local time
8:18 PM
Reaction score
I wanted to inquire what clamps the hoses use to the charcoal canister, then got interested and started reading up on what the canister actually does and found some interesting reading.
First ... what are the correct clamps?
Then second, I see 2 listed one with a cap and one with out ... what is the difference there?
Then ... I noticed, mine is completely different than those I have pictures of and even the correct one I just purchased. I have a California emissions car, however there is no differentiation in the parts book for with and without Calif emissions. I'd never put any thought into it and the only reason I even changed it is because one of the spickets is cracked on mine. See the pics I posted at: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,70161.msg1270082.html#msg1270082
The one I purchased is 3577595 (first pic) and the one that was on my car also pictured. I can't imagine the PO replacing it with a generic ... unless it was a California mandate thing. Anyone ever see one like this? It has 3 spickets and a plugged hole with removable plug and 3 threaded studs.
Any info appreciated, now I am curious!!

Hi ODZ
My 73 Charger has the same canister as your 1st picture. It came off the assembly line without any clamps on the hoses. I did put a gear clamp on the large hose that goes from canister to top of carb several years ago as hose kept slipping off.

From what I understand, the canister should have pinch clamps. Originally mine did, and here is a picture of it restored with the correct style clamps installed on the hoses. I guess I should restate, its a NOS canister, as there is not a way to restore originals, but the clamps were replaced with correct style clams.
This is from my 73 RR.
20131024_113424.jpg

’73 b-bodies used a three nipple canister as you have pictured (3577595), by ’73 there were no differences between California and federal production relating to emissions equipment. To be fully/correctly functional, requires an OEM carb with a dedicated ported purge fitting. The version pictured with three studs in the top surface is a generic replacement of some kind. The clamps originally used are referred to as “Keystone” clamps, commonly used by the factory on fuel and emission system hoses not expected to be serviced often.

Perfect, thanks guys. Anothe rinteresting thing about that "after market" canister is it is sealed, where the others are vented (I guess) at the bottom.
It is also oozing something at the top nozzle. I notice it over the summer detailing under the hood. Glad to have it off there.
Now just have to get some of the correct clamps. Using the Corbin clamps right now.

Good to know those are keystone clamps, interestingly enough, they are used in sprinkler systems too , I have always just called them pinch clamps. ODZKing, yes, the original style canister, the only serviceable part on it is the filter on the bottom of the canister, you cannot service anything else.

If you are looking for the proper clamps, they are also available from OETIKER. They call them "ear clamps"

Auto Transport Service
Back