• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charcoal Canister Rebuild ????? Will this come apart????

43tutor

Local time
12:12 PM
Reaction score
Anybody ever remove the bottom from a charcoal canister? I have a perfect condition canister housing, however the filter paper in the bottom has deteriorated and fallen apart. Now the charcoal can fall out. The replaceable filter will not hold the charcoal in place. I was planning to remove the bottom of the canister housing and insert a new paper filter and put the charcoal back in. I can't remove the bottom of the canister. It seems like it might be glued in place. I made a spanner wrench to fit the two holes in the bottom assuming the bottom threaded on the housing. I can't move the bottom. Knowing this is plastic (and 43 years old) I didn't put too much stress on it.

Can anyone lend some advice?

Attachments

• DSC00121.JPG
    DSC00121.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 953
  • DSC00120.JPG
    DSC00120.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,149
As far as I know they are permanently sealed. I had the same issue with my original, the canister itself is in great shape, but the bottom filter was gone and there was a bit of charcoal dust coming out the bottom, fortunately, I was able to find an NOS replacement before prices went up, but a recent search of ebay, looks like the prices for NOS are north of $200 now, and that was for the 3 line type and I didn't see any like yours. I would like to rebuild my original as well, just to have a spare, so if someone here knows a way to rebuild them I would be interested as well.

I am not aware of any way that they come apart.

Since you really can't see the bottom, maybe try to cut around the outside edge? If you somehow can cut out the bottom, you can still glue it back in and the top and sides will still look great. No one will see the bottom.

Just thinking out loud...

Good Luck!

Yes, there is a replaceable filter that does go under the crossbar but there is paper type filter inside the canister on top of the mesh (located above the replaceable filter) that holds all the charcoal pellets from falling through the mesh. The replaceable filter (under the crossbar) is not suppose to hold the charcoal in place.

I will look into cutting the bottom off. I will post the results.

Yes, it's good idea to replace the innards because a bad filter will let charcoal particles be sucked into your carburetor, necessitating a rebuild. Plus when you try to have the vehicle smogged, not realizing you've got a plugged carb that is running too rich, you'll be classified a "gross polluter" (California). And once you get on the gross polluter track with CARB, it is rather hard to get off. Ask me how I know.

Yes, cut it apart with a hacksaw and replace the filter paper. Replace the charcoal with fish aquarium charcoal that you buy at a pet store, and glue it back together with ABS glue.

Success - I was able to get the charcoal canister apart. I made a wicked looking tool (similar to a large hole saw) to cut the bottom off. I had a piece of stainless thin wall tubing that fit perfectly in the gap between the housing and the bottom. I used a Dremel tool and cut some teeth into the tubing. I then placed the charcoal canister on the tubing and twisted the canister to slice through the joint. The tool did not effectively cut the joint without first heating the stainless tube, then I could melt / slice the plastic. After a few minutes success!

I inspected the ports on the canister and all are working perfect. A rebuild with new charcoal and filters is next.

Yes, I could have probably just bought a new canister but what fun would that have been.

Attachments

• DSC00129.JPG
    DSC00129.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC00130.JPG
    DSC00130.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 506
  • DSC00131.JPG
    DSC00131.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 457
  • DSC00134.JPG
    DSC00134.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 467
  • DSC00136.JPG
    DSC00136.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 471
Ingenuity! Great work there, and now you will have a restored, perfect looking charcoal canister. Nice job!

Outstanding.
Now come up with a price for rebuilding them - and you have yourself a side job.
I'd hate to see that great tool go to waste after all the time you put into it.
I may even be your first customer.

Can you post a picture of how the parts are staged in the canister? What type material did you choose to replace the paper that held the charcoal in the canister? Was thinking maybe stainless steel or industrial perforated plastic.

I finished the rebuild of my charcoal canister and forgot to come back and post photos.

First - I use a used a dremmel tool and cut a notch to slide the larger metal screen into the housing. This was actually cut into the housing to first remove the metal screen.

Second - I installed the metal screens as shown after cleaning the housing and verifying all ports were open and free of debris.

Third - I cut two pieces of nylon screen and used used RTV sealant to glue them to the housing bottom. I also cut two pieces of polyester fabric the same size as the screens and placed this on top of the screens to act as a finer filter and help hold in the charcoal pellets.

Next - fill the housing with charcoal pellets.

Last - assemble the bottom into the housing and clamp into place with some quick clamps. I used clear silicone to hold the bottom onto the housing.

Now I have my original canister ready to back into service.

Attachments

• DSC00143.JPG
    DSC00143.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 382
  • DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC00141.JPG
    DSC00141.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC00140.JPG
    DSC00140.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 348
  • DSC00147.JPG
    DSC00147.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC00190.JPG
    DSC00190.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 375
maybe you should go into business rebuilding these. The one that go on 1972's are getting hard to come by.

I have no interest in rebuilding these as a side job, my schedule wouldn't allow that. That is one reason it has taken me 2 1/2 years to finish the current project with my car. If anyone wants the "wicked looking" hole saw that I made it is yours free. You pay the shipping.

Last edited:
I have no interest in rebuilding these as a side job, my schedule wouldn't allow that. That is one reason it has taken me 2 1/2 years to finish the current project with my car. If anyone wants the "wicked looking" hole saw that I made it is yours free. You pay the shipping.
We need a tool borrowing program. Anyone who needs it can check it out like a library book and then return it when done….
Maybe a central US location? anyone?

Auto Transport Service
Back