• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charger tail light sockets

Dave532

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
A wanted thread here would be the best place to start.

So what's your question? Cool site, thanks. Good Luck

I was curious if anyone had actual experience with these sockets.
I did purchase a couple and after grinding one of the spring tabs off they do seem to fit.

I have done something similar with a A100 backup lights I had a cop have a hissy fit because one of my BU lights didn't have a lens on it, try finding a BU lens for a A100? So I did the aftermarket gig like you, I had to hog out the hole to make it fit, works good! I got mine at NAPA and for the life of me, I can't find them on their site. Not the greatest pic, but you get the jist. Good Luck
650.JPG

I got those from same vendor for a Dart Sport tail lights and they fit perfectly.

I cut a few of them from an old tail light harness from a 68 Charger. They are in good shape but I need to figure out where I stashed them. They would need to be spliced in since the pigtails are about 4" or so. Should be 4 double pin and 2 single pin sockets. PM me if you want me to dig them out and take some pics.

Thanks for the updates, the aftermarket pieces work for me as well.

Just curious but the single element socket #8544 does not mention compatibility with an 1156 bulb. The 1141 bulb stated is the same size but is only 1.4 amps and 18.4 watts while an 1156 is 2.1 amps and 26.9 watts. Some bulbs mentioned are 6 volt but none of the 12 volt compatible bulbs are high wattage. I wonder if that particular socket would have difficulty handling the current. I wouldn't think you'd want a dimmer bulb for your tail lights.

Maybe just missed to add that bulb to the list but I can assure you will hold the load.

Need to note 1156 bulb is NOT CORRECT for the tail lights. It actually used for back up lamps on most of the cars. Dunno if on 69 back up lamps use those, but wattage is the higher one, just like the high light wattage for brakes on the 1157 dual filament. The 1156 will make to light up tail lights as many of the wrong setups not uncommon to find around.

Read this

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/69-charger-tail-light-bulb-mod.210280/

Last edited:
Need to note 1156 bulb is NOT CORRECT for the tail lights. It actually used for back up lamps on most of the cars. Dunno if on 69 back up lamps use those, but wattage is the higher one, just like the high light wattage for brakes on the 1157 dual filament. The 1156 will make to light up tail lights as many of the wrong setups not uncommon to find around.

Read this

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/69-charger-tail-light-bulb-mod.210280/

I see what you mean. I found several websites with specifications on bulbs. While they weren't all exactly the same specs, they were in the ballpark with each other.

Sure one watt between 7-8 W won't make a huge diff when selecting one or the other, but going to 26 watts will do. That's in fact aprox the diff between parkings and brakes/turnings

IMG_1117.jpg

This is all very helpful information but I saw a mention of the 1157 bulbs possibly melting the lens when in the running light position.
If this is true, wouldn't it also apply when the 1157 occupies the brake/signal positions?

This is all very helpful information but I saw a mention of the 1157 bulbs possibly melting the lens when in the running light position.
If this is true, wouldn't it also apply when the 1157 occupies the brake/signal positions?

Aside what I told about the brake signal/position won't melt anything since is not constant on, the 1157 bulb won't fit propperly on the single filament socket kind. Bayonet socket keys are at diff height on 1157s to be sure will be conected in just one position with the right signal for the low and high intensity filaments... and still if you make to insert it into a 1156 ( or same series ) socket, contacts could or could not reach the center contact of the socket, depending on contact size on socket and bulb

15mmbases.jpg

Last edited:
I put #89 bulbs in my inner sockets recently, they give the correct "dim" running light level. I couldn't find anything else that would go there, with proper wattage (the car had incorrect 1156s in it when I bought it, looked like 2 brake lights were stuck on).

You could go LED, but then you'll need either an LED flasher unit, or resistors for the bulbs, because the stock flasher will think a bulb is out and - depending on year of flasher manufacture - either not flash at all (OEM older units), or flash double-time (current generation design), to indicate a 'bulb out' situation to the driver. I've toyed with the sequential LED units that are out there, they look pretty slick...but I like the original "survivor" look of my 500 so I just put fresh incandescent bulbs in the tails when I cleaned them up recently.

flashers work based on load sucked by the bulbs. That's what makes the bimetallic heat to open and close points inside the flasher, so with leds the bimetallic into flasher won't heat ever ( or could take hours LOL ).

Auto Transport Service
Back