• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

charger vibrates after 40 mph

Need some help, my 1966 charger 4 speed starts vibrating after about 40 mph. I noticed the tailshaft bushing is slid out would that cause it to vibrate? Here is a video https://www.facebook.com/chris.hayward.165470/videos/10154769289493242/

The tail shaft bushing would definitely cause the vibration. I had the same problem and replaced mine, now it is silky smooth.
If you can push up and down on the drive shaft where it enters the tailshaft and you can feel some play then it should be replaced. I now have no noticeable play in the bushing/drive shaft.

Uhhh....yeah.... you need to replace that bushing in the tail shaft. Hopefully the tail shaft housing isn't all wobbled out. If you still have a slight vibration, then maybe get the driveshaft balanced too, but most likely it's just the bad bushing...not that tough of a fix.

Yes, my experience was with an old Corvette but a badly worn (or moved) bushing and/or worn yoke will definitely cause vibration. If you can grasp the yoke and move it up and down and side to side - it will vibrate.

Auto Transport Service
Back