• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charlotte North Carolina - Hurricane updates . . .

conv67bdere

Super Moderator
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
Living in Charlotte North Carolina - and being a part of this next hurricane - Florence - thought I'd update the forum and provide a little update on the progress of the storm and the current weather conditions here . . .

Last night I was out cutting my grass and getting prepared for the next ( who knows how many ) days of rain that will be following . . .

This morning - on my drive to work there was an "eerie" calm in the air - most of the animal noises that you usually hear were not present. In the West, I could still see blue skies, but the cloud cover was blowing in - and the direction of the cloud movement was "backwards" from the way it normally goes . . .

At the present time - the winds have been picking up all day - but they're still not real strong, and we have yet to feel a drop of rain . . .

Our fellows to the South of us - South Carolina - and the South Eastern part of North Carolina are feeling the wrath of hurricane Florence . . .

Will try and keep you updated ( if possible ) on the status of the weather conditions here in Charlotte North Carolina . . .

Be safe . . . and "try" and stay dry . . . good luck to all . . .

good luck to you :thumbsup: , we have "east coast lows " that are pretty strong (they use to be called hurricanes) but they changed the "terms"

Forgot to mention . . . Lowes Motor Speedway has opened up all of their campgrounds for evacuees to be able to park and stay for the storm. Many of the people leaving the coast have already re-located in the general area and as a result we're seeing increased traffic in the area as well as some of the local gas stations running out of gas ( as they were not prepared for the large increase in traffic ) . . .

Glad that they're all clear of the wrath of the storm . . . hope that they fair well and don't have too much damage to their homes . . .

Since last night...

Got slower winds- good

Movement of storm slowed- bad

Irma was sustained 75 MPH less that 5 miles from my house and Charley was 110 MPH less than 7 miles away.

Both were moving about 35 MPH IIRC

Neither was fun.

Every time someone mentions this angry storm I think of this....

brady.jpg

I know I'm heartless but is there an opportunity to buy discounted muscle cars from insurance companies and how is it done? If my insurance offered me twice what I thought my GTO was worth I'd let them have it. Then some Joe Schmo buys it at 10% of what the insurance paid I'd be in for that deal.

I once read when movies like Fast and Furious or Transformers wrecks 100's of cars for a scene most are flood cars.

Friday - 9/14/2018 - 6 PM update . . .
- - got friends at the beach, living in Wilmington - lost their power at 1 AM this morning . . .
- - got friends living in Fayetteville - lost their power at 1 PM this afternoon . . .

- - here in Charlotte - the winds continue to pick up yet not a single drop has fallen yet . . . but it's coming . . .
- - weather forecast is estimating that the rains will begin to fall around 8 PM - 2 hours out . . . then it will be with us for a while . . .

Hope you're still dry Larry. It rained like hell here around dinner time. Some local flooding, but it's been quiet for the last 2 hours.

everyone be safe and prays for all of you.

stay safe & dry guys, high & dry preferably

Doesn’t look like you guys will dry out for quite awhile. Good luck.

Doesn’t look like you guys will dry out for quite awhile. Good luck.
Thanks. Out here in Seven Lakes (about 50 miles due east of Charlotte), it's been blowing all day (Friday) and raining (not heavy but steady) since 1:00PM (Friday). The forecast calls for days of rain ahead...at least through Monday. So you're right, we're not drying out for quite some time.

Saturday - 5:00 AM - update

Very, very odd storm . . .
- - has appeared to moved very slowly ( if it's moving - it's very slow )
- - had the power go out last night about 9 PM - there was very little wind, but it was raining ( made no sense )
- - power was back on just after 10:00 . . . Okay . . .
- - got a little bit of winds outside - but no rain this morning
- - the Eastern part of North and South Carolina are getting a deluge of rain . . . feel sorry for those guys . . .
- - assume it will continue to move W-NW and that Charlotte will be seeing rain today ( maybe ? )

Been thinking about you Larry. Good to hear the storm may not be as bad as expected in your area. We sit and watch the news about the coast and just cant imagine what it would be like to get 20 inches of rain along with the winds. And then see the people that didn't listen to the evacuation requests getting hurt or worse. Not sure what they were thinking....

Auto Transport Service
Back