• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chassis Jig

VicsGarage

Local time
12:57 AM
Reaction score
So It's time to do some frame rail and tackle the rest of my body work. Has anyone built a chassis jig before?

If you have, share your photos and plans. Bonus points for 3rd gens and supporting the car by the rockers or door pillar bolts!

Find a retired Cellete bench and fixtures! They are the best you can get imo.. Otherwise your building one. Good Luck, look for old body shops going out of business or retiring.

beeresto2016bodyshop 136.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 138.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 141.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 458.JPG
beeresto2016bodyshop 464.JPG

You can look at what they use at AMD Installations.

That's cool, dadsbee!

Here is what I built. I made it out of 2"x3"x1/8" tubes mostly. I had four casters on it as well as six adjustable legs so I could set the assembly level with a laser. I made supports at the front & rear frame rails, torsion cross member, and front of the leaf springs to match the frame measurements off the factory diagram so I didn't have to do any math. Additional supports as needed for whatever I was doing.

2011 11 body work 011.jpg

2011 11 body work 016.jpg

2011 11 body work 014.jpg

2012 09 body work 037.JPG

Ok thanks guys.

I think I have some ideas now..

I'll post an update when I got it worked out.

So I'm thinking of doing something similar to this guys build....

except making some clamps to hold the car at the pinch welds on the rockers for now. That should leave the most of the areas I need to work on accessible including the frame rails and door pillars....

Thoughts?

When I was building race cars we had a flat topped table. Everything bolted to it.

So I'm thinking of doing something similar to this guys build....

except making some clamps to hold the car at the pinch welds on the rockers for now. That should leave the most of the areas I need to work on accessible including the frame rails and door pillars....

Thoughts?

I made T-bolts and used the existing holes in the frame rails.

P1010015.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010018.JPG P1010019.JPG

Here is what I built. I made it out of 2"x3"x1/8" tubes mostly. I had four casters on it as well as six adjustable legs so I could set the assembly level with a laser. I made supports at the front & rear frame rails, torsion cross member, and front of the leaf springs to match the frame measurements off the factory diagram so I didn't have to do any math. Additional supports as needed for whatever I was doing.

View attachment 1262666

View attachment 1262667

View attachment 1262668

View attachment 1262671

What did you use for feet?

You guys all build some really nice jigs! Impressive when you think about it!

Bumping the thread again.

So I got most of my jig built... Question now is anyone got tips on how to get it up and mounted on it :p

Would be nice if I had a skid steer or something. As of Now... I'm thinking I have to use a engine hoist, lift one side and support it by front rails. Then go lift rear a bit and support it the same way. Using my jack stands and building them up because they will max out in height. Maybe build them up with 2x4's or something to get it the height I need.

Thoughts?

Only having an engine crane, I had to get creative. So I would lift up the rear and put it on saw horses with a 4x4 across to hold it up, and then used the engine crane to lift front. Roll the jig in and out. I would now use a bigger piece of wood than the 4x4. Maybe several 2x8 nailed together?

2012 04 body work 001.JPG

2012 04 body work 002.JPG

2012 04 body work 003.JPG

Just borrowed a engine hoist. What did you connect it to on the front and rear?

Got it up now. Supported by rockers and welded on back side to lips.

Auto Transport Service
Back