• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cheap front suspension upgrade?

3rdelke

Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
Is there one, our GTX is way squirly?

Maybe you have components that are simply worn out?

Maybe you have components that are simply worn out?

Yes, don't cheap out in the steering/suspension area. Just get under there and check it out or have someone else do it for you and go from there. Once you know what it is, we might be able to suggest a few things.

@ a MIN. new bushings
bigger sway bars & better link bushings
add a rear sway bar
buy much better {gas @ a min} shocks
wider better tires/lighter rims
better brakes

you don't need to break the bank,
all those will help...

rebuild the front end to stock specifications and you will be amazed. 300 bucks for the bushings and rebuild kit and then do an alignment at a shop that knows mopars. See how you like that and then decide whether you want better. I like how the stock torsion bar suspension rides when new. Stock rebuild is the best bang for the buck.

I agree with Slink. I just rebuilt the entire front end of our 68 GTX today with all new Moog parts from Rock Auto. Only thing I didn't do was the pitman arm, looked like someone had done that not too many miles ago. Going to get it aligned this week. I think with shocks I was under $500.

Good bang for the buck, consider the stiffening kit for the lower control arms, as well as the aforementioned stock rebuild.

Some "mechanic" wanted $3200 to rebuild my front suspension. ....I bought $380 worth of parts and did it myself.
Very cheap if you do it yourself.

Jeff

That "mechanic" was either an idiot, too greedy or just wanted to scare you with a big estimate so he wouldn't have to do it.

I'm sure we all can appreciate the value of a persons time and expertise but to write an estimate of over $3000 to rebuild a front suspension? That makes no sense if the guy knew what he was doing and was honest about it.

Even at a $100 per hour labor rate, that is 30 hours plus the alignment. You can do this in ONE day if you have a press to R&R the bushings yourself. Add another day if you have to farm out the presswork to a shop.

Even at a $100 per hour labor rate, that is 30 hours plus the alignment. You can do this in ONE day if you have a press to R&R the bushings yourself. Add another day if you have to farm out the presswork to a shop.
Not to mention he was probably marking up the parts by double.....

If you want step up to polyurethane bushings for a firmer feel too.

I have had a little trouble getting on line, just got these messages. as always, good advise! thanks

Bias ply tires or radials? I found radials made a huge positive difference in handling even after the front end was rebuilt.

thanks again, appears as if someone has rebuilt the front end to original specs, we did install powersteering, and a set of 10.5 inch slicks. took it for an alignment, and it wandered so bad it was almost impossible to drive at highway speed . radial tires on front

It was wondering bad on the way to the alignment shop, or on the way back?

Something as simple as not enough toe end adjustment will make it wonder real bad. Like if both wheels are running perfectly straight, you'll have your hands full!

Something as simple as not enough toe end adjustment will make it wonder real bad. Like if both wheels are running perfectly straight, you'll have your hands full!

Seemed like it went bad after the power steering conversion. and worse yet after we put slicks on. and after the alignment. I tried to toe it in a lil more, not sure it helped. we will take it back for another alignment . the kid that did the alignment was a big Mopar freak, we will give him another chance, thanks... Bob

Auto Transport Service
Back