• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check out the G-Surge Electronic Fuel Pump! 12/3/2018 Installing the FiTech 3x2 system

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
I am starting a new thread even though Don Selleck is doing a great service to the forum by detailing his install.
Here's an article about the FiTech 3x2 system installed on a 71 Challenger, originally a 440 6bbl (just like my 440).
I haven't even read it yet, but as soon as I post this I'm going to.
EDIT: The fuel pump, link embedded in the 3x2 throttle body installed article (and at the end of this paragraph), to me is even better than the installation article.
It seems to me that I could use everything as is with my current fuel lines, tank, and mech fuel pump. The pump is the Carter M6903 rated at 120 gph, the line feeding the Carter is 3/8" (V-code and Hemi), I already have a fuel/vapor return line (that's my only concern, would that work for the excess fuel recirculating to the fuel tank? If not, still only one line to replace!) and the G-Surge fuel pump has a pressure regulator built in AND acts as a fuel reservoir to supply the 3x2 throttle body injection system. Am I missing something? Check it out:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-tankpump-solves-every-problem-efi-fuel-systems/
Anyone who is interested in this or any of the other 3x2 fuel injection systems (F&B) or the patent application for the Holley Sniper 3x2 system (when oh when will it be available?!) please weigh in!
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/kic...-go-efi-tri-power-600hp-system-71-challenger/
Screenshot_20181204-175235_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Meh...
That wasn't very detailed :(
I was really excited to see the article, but more details and results would have been great.
EDIT: If I understand what I'm reading, it looks like the G-Surge electronic fuel pump/reservoir would allow me to keep everything I have now regarding fuel tank, 3/8" fuel feed line, Carter M6903 high volume mech fuel pump, use the fuel vapor return line (or I may have to replace this ONE line) for the excess fuel recirculating line, and the G-Surge has a built in pressure regulator. It holds fuel so the TBs have steady fuel supply, and I think the 120 gph rated Carter would surely be able to keep the G-Surge reservoir full. Am I missing something?
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/new-tankpump-solves-every-problem-efi-fuel-systems/

Back to watching Don's progress...
:popcorn2:

Last edited:
Where would you mount that monster? In the trunk?

Where would you mount that monster? In the trunk?
Not that large a "monster"...It could easily fit where my battery is under the hood if I relocated the battery to the trunk.
It would be nice to place it where this one is shown because that is where all of the factory fuel lines and mech pump are!
Screenshot_20181210-210609_Chrome.jpg

Is that not a revamp of this much maligned piece ?
View attachment 689412

I think that one had a fuel float, needle and seat, and no return to the tank.
Not sure on the G-surg, but I think it requires the return to the tank plumbing?
For me, after messing around with a few of these EFI setups, it really is easier and simpler to just buy new EFI fuel tank with in-tank pump, or build/modify a tank for the internal EFI pump if there is no EFI tank for your car model.

Not sure on the G-surg, but I think it requires the return to the tank plumbing?
From the article:
All you have to do is run a return line from the G-Surge to your fuel tank.
Which led to my (still unanswered) question:
(could I) use the fuel vapor return line (or I may have to replace this ONE line) for the excess fuel recirculating line

From the article:
I’ve successfully used the vapor tube as a return in a carburetor application but I don’t think it’ll keep up for an EFI system. Changing out the fuel tank for one with an internal EFI pump is absolutely the best solution based on my experience.

From the article:

I think the 1/4" vapor return would work with the G-Surge. I think it is returning the excess from the mechanical pump filling the sump. I think EFI pump is returning back into the G-Surge. I think it would work OK, but the EFI pump re-circulating most of the fuel, I think could heat up the fuel? In a normal return regulator setup, the return line to the tank needs to be sized so there is no pressure creep at the regulator. With the Higher EFI pressures (usually 3 or 4 bar), usually one size smaller return line than supply works fine. The return line size is more critical at lower Carburator supply pressures of around 5-9 psi.

I think it is returning the excess from the mechanical pump filling the sump. I think EFI pump is returning back into the G-Surge.
Thanks for the reply.
The G-Surge pump returns fuel not used by the throttle body injectors to the gas tank. My thoughts are that would include fuel pumped into the G-Surge by the mechanical pump, of course. It wouldn't make sense for the G-Surge electronic pump to recirculate to its own enclosure.
They specify that it has a cooling effect on the fuel, by returning unused fuel to the fuel tank.

Auto Transport Service
Back