• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check out this vintage pic.....R body cop car caught

SattyNoCar

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
I follow the facebook page for (Historic) North Canaan, CT. We lived there when I was a kid, and I loved the place.

The group is always posting vintage pics of the town, and they posted this one from '85. Looking fresh out of auction is an ex New York State Police '79 Newport! :eek: I would love to own an R body squad. In terms of overall package, they were the best for their time.

KXXka0w.jpg

Look at the diversity of cars. From a Pinto to a Porsche with a few Mopars in the middle!

I always liked the "Blue & Gold" on our Trooper's Cars. Looked Good, and "easy" to Spot !

I always liked the "Blue & Gold" on our Trooper's Cars. Looked Good, and "easy" to Spot !

Back about this time (I was in HS), I (briefly) owned a '77 Gran Fury cop car that had been a NY State Trooper car. That "easy to spot", worked against me. Couldn't twitch without getting pulled over. Then a cop told me it looked too much like a cop car and if I didn't paint it, I would be arrested for impersonating an officer. Not wanting to find out of he was serious or not, I brush and rollered Rustoleum satin black on from the blue up. Maybe I was ahead of my time using that method? I dunno, but it did the trick and I only got stopped once after that.

Oh, and as a side note, Canaan, CT wasn't far from the race track called Lime Rock (Park). Perhaps you've heard of it? Paul Newman raced there a lot. In part because of this track, during the warmer months, you'd see all kinds of sports cars running around town.

https://limerock.com/

The R body was a pretty car , ride was good, the performance wasnt there in my opinion, the 360 was too restricted, shame the factory killed the big blocks in production cars

Nice picture, I like seeing ole pictures like that of my state so I can see how things used to be. Would you by chance have anymore?

That Volare is a dead ringer for one I owned a few years ago. I should have kept that car...

The K-wagon in the foreground is dark brown...that's close enough for the "identity" folks lol

Auto Transport Service
Back