• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Check your tires, fellas!

vintage chromoly

Local time
2:15 AM
Reaction score
Hello all.
During routine cleaning and maintenance, I found several cracks in the sidewalls of my front tires.
Date coded 2015. Less than 1500 miles, stored inside and on a lift 50% of the time (tires hanging, 2 post).

this is not to bash the manufacturer, although I think 5 years is a bit on the short side.

I bought them at summit and they prorated 25% for me under a very subjective warranty.

Anyhow, check your tires, even if they aren’t all that old.

C7365456-D2E4-4FAA-A90C-6B63F46FB943.jpeg 89036D77-91EE-4252-AE33-3DF4F5CB4B0F.jpeg 10E7669B-9D51-4233-BCEC-ECA5A6D34E29.jpeg

30 years old and still go 120+.. tell us who's tires they are so we don't buy them!
superbirdcleanup20182019 633.JPG

Last edited:
Tires aren't what they used to be. I have 53 year old red lines on a 67 GTX. They are almost completely worn out at 67K miles, but no cracks yet. Unlike some newer less than 10 year old tires that blew out sitting still.

Reproduction tires. You guys with old tires with no visible cracks, don't kid yourselves and take them up on the freeway. Is it worth a fender ?? The rubber compounds are a mixture of several chemicals that do break down with time. They have a specific design life. They were not intended to be stored. The average life of a bias ply tire in mileage was 25,000 miles. How long does it take for a daily driver to go 25,000 miles ?? You can do things to make them last a little longer but it is safer to use them for show cars after they get more than 5 years old. Like bragging about how old the oil and gasoline are.....Safety first.

Last edited:
Have a nice day, not gonna get into the BS of who doesn't maintain tire pressure as a regular check to keep their tires usable. I still have 30 year old tires on a triaxle.. but I bet it doesn't carry any weight.. LMAO.. Would I do it with new ****, not a chance! I figure the Goodyear Raceways on my Bee are good for about 10 years!
lift 020.JPG

The tires were maintained.
I didn’t let the car sit on flats.

the point of the thread is to be aware and be safe.

Always love these tire threads, remind me of my fishing buddy threads that blow tires and hub bearings every two years. Failure to maintain... :rolleyes:

I do thank VC for pointing out Coker has someone making **** tires for them and not belittling that at all. But failures in general have a reason... cars left with soft tires, pumped back up and lets go cruise. It just doesn't work that way!

The tires were maintained.
I didn’t let the car sit on flats.

the point of the thread is to be aware and be safe.
Sorry, didn't mean it to be taken that way. New rubber sucks... and some brands like BF Goodrich are worse and probably Cokers supplier. They dry out and crack.

Tires can fail for many reasons.
In my case, it must be an inferior rubber or something. My car stays inside out of the UV. It stays suspended most of the time. The tires are not neglected in any way.

I called Coker, and the rep basically admitted that 5 years was on the short side. He says they recommend replacing at 8. Since I bought them from summit, I had to deal with them on getting a resolution. They comped 25% of the new tires. I was glad they did that.

the thing is with tires. Even ones that look great. They are good until they aren’t, and they don’t give much warning.

D.O.T rules are 5 years of life and a tread depth of 2 /32 on the front and 4 3/2 tread on the rear if not replace . check front end every 10000 miles for the type of front end on a b-body

Almost no rubber is used in modern tire making. Mostly petroleum based synthetics. Commercial trailer tires are not designed to go Passenger car mileage. They are designed to carry a load and not at high speeds. Different application. Like comparing a diesel engine to a gasoline engine.
You can exercise and stay out of the sun, watch what you eat, keep lean and you will still die when you get old. You can stretch it out a little but you can't last forever.

Sooo the morel of the story dont let them tires sit use them up like gasoline

Thanks for bringing tire and rubber issues to light @vintage chromoly 5 years does not seem like a very long time for tires, especially those kept in climate controlled environments. Luckily you caught that avoiding a potential disaster.
What a lot of people fail to realize is that an odd sized/brand of tires could be a year or even 2 years old before it reaches your possession.
Check air pressure regularly, especially during extreme temperature changes.

Modern day BF Goodrich has really been mostly a Uni-Royal green tire using BF Goodrich molds since Michelin purchased both companies about 40 Years ago...

Yep, especially with these boutique type tires. They probably don’t sell all that many.
When I picked up the replacements, I checked the dates.

I have read many times best to store tires in plastic bags and keep them away from another tire killer,ozone gas which can quickly age them. Do you have a few electric motors going in your garage like a furnace,refrigerator etc?

Auto Transport Service
Back