• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cherry Pickers Leaking Hydraulic Oil (always)?

Dibbons

Local time
11:42 AM
Reaction score
What's with the cherry picker hydraulics? I borrowed one and it would not work until I refilled the fluid. Then I purchased my very own new unit and find it is leaking all over too. What seems to be the problem? Thank you.

IMG_1280.jpg

I bought my cherry picker in 93, haven't added oil ever... Course now that I mentioned it next time I use it I'll have to add oil...

Other then the fact I got a good one I've always stored it with the rod fully retracted so there's no chance of the rod getting nicked or getting damp & rusting...

I bought mine 20 years ago, it started leaking from the release screw about 10-12 years ago. I used the spare o-ring that it came with, and it lasted about a year then started leaking again. it only leaks when it's raised, so it hasn't been much of an issue and I just live with it.

Knock on wood! My 10 + year old harbor freight engine hoist hasn't leaked a drop. And it sits outside in the humid florida air under a carport. But it does get a squirt of WD40 now and again.

I bought mine up here At the Canadian HF Princess Auto. Got it way back in 2000. Never had a problem with it yet. It's a older/better model than the ones they sell now. Note the out riggers for better stability. There are some on the front legs as well covered by the pallet. And all wheels swivel. And yes made in China.

cherry picker.jpg

I borrowed one from a friend, first time i went to use it.. nothing... had to fill it up... seems to be the norm now

I bought mine from Northern Tool. I replaced the cylinder after 10 years.

Chinese ones are almost a one time usage only. To be honest I wouldnt lift anything over 200 lbs in fear of the garbage metals failing.

My Harbor Freight one is decent except I think the 12 year olds that built it have the upper arm crooked and everything sort of swings to the left out of center. But the ram has had no leaks because it was empty when I got it. I had to fill it but never had a leak. Its the fold up and store style.

Can they be rebuilt with better quality O-rings and seals?

I built my picker (of course) 20 years ago. The first cylinder (Chinese) leaked right away so I went to a better Chinese air over hydraulic unit which has been leak free for 10 years or so.
Mike
IMG_2760.JPG
IMG_2761.JPG

I bought mine 20 years ago, it started leaking from the release screw about 10-12 years ago. I used the spare o-ring that it came with, and it lasted about a year then started leaking again. it only leaks when it's raised, so it hasn't been much of an issue and I just live with it.

What I've found is the where the screw seals to the 0 ring is machined VERY POORLY. pull the screw needle out and polish up that area and it will help

What I've found is the where the screw seals to the 0 ring is machined VERY POORLY. pull the screw needle out and polish up that area and it will help
When I bought a paint gun kit (regular size gun plus a jamb/touch up gun), I opened up 6 kits and picked out all of the best looking parts and assembled one nice kit....and that was with store employees walking by and never saying a single word lol. Painted my daughter's PT (partial) and it came out great. As for leaking China made stuff....so far so good. Btw, if anyone has a paint gun/kit from HF and got a good one, consider yourself lucky. Could not believe how bad the machine work was on the internals.

As a hydraulic cylinder shop told me when I asked about getting my 30yr old Craftsman floor jack rebuilt "by time i get done rebuilding, you'll have bought 2 new 3 ton ones". So I just bought one low clearance one from Homeless Despot.. it's got a 1yr warranty vs the 90 day HF ones.. I don't need lightweight aluminum since i don't jack for a old Busch team anymore..

Auto Transport Service
Back