• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

choke cable firewall placement 71 charger 383

velrob

Local time
2:14 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how the choke cable is fed through the firewall? originally it seems the guy drilled a hole and put the cablecable through. is there a specific spot the cable should be fed through? im guessing a grommet should be used?

i found the attached picture but dont see anything.

thanks

proxy.jpg

Any modern vehicle like a 71 (which is quite old) would not have a manual choke cable.
They were all opened by a pull off and a bi-metallic spring.
But yes if you are going to run a cable a grommet is a good way.

mine came with manual choke. it has the original carb that i rebuilt

would i be able to convert it eliminating the manual choke?

Do you think it's worthwhile for me to upgrade to electric choke? Or should I keep the manual choke? Not sure which way to go.

Some people like a manual choke, it should work OK but the problem is you can't really guarantee that you won't be running too rich occasionally.
Too much raw fuel is a source of cylinder wall wear. But if you are able to start it and get it opened fairly quickly then depending on how much you run it and what type of year it's probably not a big deal. But if you can add an electric I would certainly go that route.

Ok I will do that then thanks

Yea I'd like the easiest setup.

mine came with manual choke. it has the original carb that i rebuilt

would i be able to convert it eliminating the manual choke?

’71 383 with a manual choke from the factory? Not likely, original carb? What list/carb number would that be? Pictures?

It's a holley 750cfm 3310-3

How can I tell in that case if it's the stock carb?

I'll send pics tomorrow its at my shop

ah that explains it.

i guess ill convert it to electric anyhow

thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back