• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Electronic Ignition

Local time
9:43 AM
Reaction score
I can't seem to find one. Does anyone know the part # or where I can find a Mopar Performance Chrome Electronic ignition box?

They are gone. There are similar alternatives, but I've not used them so I'll not comment. I know there are reasons to use that particular set-up. I dont want to sound like an MSD fanboi, but I tossed my chrome box eons ago when I found out it caused a high speed miss at the track. IIRC, I picked up 2-3 tenths with an MSD. Anyway, Mancini in Detroit is the last place that I saw advertising OEM chrome boxes, so maybe a call there if no one else knows. HTH, Lefty71

In my experiences they were a better unit than the orange ecu. Switching from one to the other I noticed a crisper start-up that required less warm-up time. But yeah the only way to find a real one now is on the used market.

IIRC chrome boxes were the "race" boxes, the orange boxes the "street performance" ones, the black ones the "standard" ones, correct?

IIRC chrome boxes were the "race" boxes, the orange boxes the "street performance" ones, the black ones the "standard" ones, correct?

The "Gold" box was above all, supposedly good to 8,000 rpm's. I had (have) two of them. Never used sucessfully. Actually I don't think I ever got them to work. I think they needed a higher voltage and different regulator or ignition coil or both. The other three boxes were totally interchangeable, plug and play.

The "Gold" box was above all, supposedly good to 8,000 rpm's. I had (have) two of them. Never used sucessfully. Actually I don't think I ever got them to work. I think they needed a higher voltage and different regulator or ignition coil or both. The other three boxes were totally interchangeable, plug and play.
Ah yes, you're correct - the gold one was "race".
The chrome and orange boxes were the same and had a little higher RPM range than the stock one.

There is one on ebay says new. Can't see any Made in USA, so bbw.
It's not a real chrome box!

Last edited:
Thanks Fran. Yeah the good ones had 'made in USA' engraved on the front, and if I recall some just had a sticker...
20191019_194742.jpg

I have a chrome on one of my cars and like it. Was going to go with another one only to find out i'm too late.

Maybe leave it in place and stealth something else under the dash?? Anybody know who can bench test Mopar boxes?? If so, maybe I can find one of the gold boxes i have and see what the real deal is with them??

1997 Mopar Performance catalog Chrome Box #P4120534 Says= All-Race unit for higher engine speed usage up to 8,000 rpm.

Maybe leave it in place and stealth something else under the dash?? Anybody know who can bench test Mopar boxes?? If so, maybe I can find one of the gold boxes i have and see what the real deal is with them??
It’s for another car I’m building

Mancini racing’s website says the gold box isn’t good for the street

You need a tester like this

Thanks for the reply! Believe it or not, this whole thread got me puzzled why I never was able to use the Gold boxes I have. I stumbled across a thread over on FABO where they were chatting about them years ago. Anyway, it looks like the SuperGold unit uses a special low resistance ballast. I'm certain I never changed my ballast out from the one the chrome box uses, so I now I've got some research to do. Thx Bobby!

Ive used the ones Rick Ehrenberg sells on Ebay with good success and very reasonably priced.

I have a tester here if needed, old Tektronix used in the old auto parts stores.
and also a mopar tester like in post 16.

I have a tester here if needed, old Tektronix used in the old auto parts stores.
and also a mopar tester like in post 16.

You would most certainly be my first choice if I decide it needs to be sent out and tested. Thanks Ray!

Auto Transport Service
Back