• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chrome Piston Rings?

Auggie56

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
Rebuilding a 440 any input on using them?

I use moly faced top ring on every engine I put together. Seat in seems to be quicker IMO.

I have used only one set in 47 years and will not ever use an other set. The factory never seen the need for chrome and they do take for ever to seat if you use them.

use pre broken in chrome works
hard sleeve
put them on an old piston with some valve grinding compound or polishing compound
clean well
works on the Allisons

Chrome rings require a different hone pattern on the bore to seat properly. I would only use chrome rings in high boost applications or when using heavy doses of nitrous.

What kind of duty is the engine going to see? Where do you want to go?
Details, details brother....

I would recommend either cast or moly rings. As stated by Badvert65, chrome rings (top only, second ring is cast) require a finish hone with a 220 to 280 grit stone. This is a 30-48 microinch finish which is a bit rough to aid in seating the hard chrome rings. Chrome rings are used in industrial, dirt track, and off road conditions. The dirt sucked thru the intake will not embed into the ring and scratch the cylinder. Stick with either cast or a moly set and you will be much happier.

Edit...

Last edited:
yep molly can flake
check stainless also
application dependent
Allison/ Packard/ Merlin did have steel sleaves so do the radials
need one honed or line bored Evans speed has the tooling

I use moly faced top ring on every engine I put together. Seat in seems to be quicker IMO.
I used moly faced rings on my 440. Haven't had the opportunity to put many miles on it since finishing it. How long do you think it takes for proper seating?

I used moly faced rings on my 440. Haven't had the opportunity to put many miles on it since finishing it. How long do you think it takes for proper seating?
Its hard to say, The engine starts to feel stronger after the first couple heat cycles. It feels like everything is seated in within the first 10 miles after a hydraulic cam break in. The engine starts to ‘wake up’ around that time.

Its hard to say, The engine starts to feel stronger after the first couple heat cycles. It feels like everything is seated in within the first 10 miles after a hydraulic cam break in. The engine starts to ‘wake up’ around that time.
Ok great I should be good then. I have about 40 miles since cam break-in. Runs very smooth, no oil loss, smoking or unusual noises.

drive easy and warn up
get on the gas up to illegal speed- coast down to 35
repeat 10x
unless you really washed down your cylinder wall at start you should be good
change oil & filter
enjoy
do not idle engine to "warm up'-oil never gets warm= just drive easy
0w-x oil

Auto Transport Service
Back