• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic car Insurance Michigan

black64

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
Just got a notice that my car has to be registered Authentic or Antique to qualify for lower rates from my insurance company. If it is not it would be insured as a private vehicle at those rates more or less what I paid for 6months would almost be what it would be paying monthly. Another stab in the back from greedy state tax revenue hacks.

Count your blessings - at least you have options. In CA the car is registered like a normal car no matter what and based on the value. I'm bending over for the DMV for a 50 year old car. When I was in Minnesota I bought one plate and never had to pay another nickel of tax again and it was permanently registered as collector until I moved it to CA.

I've been with Hagerty for about 8 years now. They'll insure for an agreed value. State Farm agent jacked me around when I found out they would only insure for book value. Hagerty is cheaper on 3 cars than State Farm was for one.

This is new for state of Michigan it is just a matter of how you register the car now. Just another way for them to get more bucks out of us. Here in Michigan they have no fault and we pay for the idiots who are under insured/no insurance and also catastrophic injury which is only on private registered vehicles it would now include classic vehicles that are not registered as Authentic or Antique.

Getx'd- value predicted on what? My daughter lived in Ca. for couple yrs and I agree a real mess out there.

Just got a notice that my car has to be registered Authentic or Antique to qualify for lower rates from my insurance company. If it is not it would be insured as a private vehicle at those rates more or less what I paid for 6months would almost be what it would be paying monthly. Another stab in the back from greedy state tax revenue hacks.

It seems like it's always been like that with Hagerty, for us. I don't see the issue with cheaper rates and plates.

Pa is good for something I guess....
Hagerty for over 15 yrs., but no claim so Can't speak for that. But here in Pennsyltucky the RR is registered as antique so I never have to pay yearly registration, nor go for yearly inspection. Title is branded as Antique for life but who cares. Antiques are required to be off road by dark unless emergency..... car show hehe.
Hagerty also restricts the use but about on the same guidelines, not your everyday vehicle........blah blah. I think my premium is about 250 annual on agreed value.

Getx'd- value predicted on what? My daughter lived in Ca. for couple yrs and I agree a real mess out there.
It was kind of strange. I have the car insured for $50k - but when I went to the DMV I said the value was $10k that was it - they charged me $187 and that was that. If I would have had half a brain I would have said $2k for a 68 vehicle and I'd be paying a lot less.

Ohio "historical"-$35 one time fee; can't drive to work everyday but retired anyway,lol...No emission check either.

Authentic plates are good for shows, and cruises, club gatherings, parades, or transporting your car to or from a repair facility. Pretty well covers anytime.

I've been with Hagerty for about 8 years now. They'll insure for an agreed value. State Farm agent jacked me around when I found out they would only insure for book value. Hagerty is cheaper on 3 cars than State Farm was for one.

That's interesting. I have an agreed value policy from State Farm for $25000 on my Sport Satellite. All they needed was an appraisal and pics of the car. I pay something like $70 every 6 months. I guess maybe it depends on what state you're in, or maybe just how greedy your agent is.

its cheaper to get classic plates, its like 50.00. your supposed to drive to car shows and related stuff, so keep that in mind if you get pulled over. call hagerty or grundy which i have. I have a policy on my charger I'm restoring, never been registered has an agreed value. have collectors insurance on my 2015 hellcat for 30% of what my regular insurance for my daily driver wanted. if you dont drive it everyday just weekends and good weather, that what grundy wants to hear. 65000 agreed value on hellcat equals 1100.00 year 35000 on charger equals 450.00 year shop around better deals are out there. thats the best i could find here in michigan. good luck.

I was going to go with State Farm (who our other vehicles are with) for the Satellite after my agent told me about their collector division. They understand cars like these, blah, blah, blah. Had it all set up for an agreed value. About 2 weeks later I get a letter telling me my car didn't fit their program for the stated value and they would insure it as a regular car for, get this, $9k. I had to laugh. I could sell the drivetrain for more than that! What bugged me is they went off some pictures my agent took and never bothered to call me or look at the car in person to see what it is. They just see some rust on a 50 year old car and don't get that it's a running, driving, 95% original Hemi car. I didn't even bother to try to get them to understand. I didn't walk, but RAN to Hagerty and it was painless.

It was kind of strange. I have the car insured for $50k - but when I went to the DMV I said the value was $10k that was it - they charged me $187 and that was that. If I would have had half a brain I would have said $2k for a 68 vehicle and I'd be paying a lot less.

Careful with stated value if there is a claim and insurance company uses your State reported value.

Hagerty is good. Western Auto is another. I go through Berkley Classics. All these will insure for an agreed upon amount. I pay 200$ per year. If I had another car it would lower the rate.

Your insurance agent should look around to find you the lowest rate. I wouldn't be afraid to look toward other insurance companies if you feel they're screwing you. My agent has had me change providers twice now because he keeps finding better providers for me.

It seems like it's always been like that with Hagerty, for us. I don't see the issue with cheaper rates and plates.
I have state farm which is cheaper for me then Haggerty and I can take off the full coverage in the winter and just have comprehensive. Makes a difference when your not driving year round. I will just get year specific plates and register it that way and that would solve the problem. I had custom plates with HEMI on it but for the cost I can live without it.

Hagerty is good. Western Auto is another. I go through Berkley Classics. All these will insure for an agreed upon amount. I pay 200$ per year. If I had another car it would lower the rate.

Your insurance agent should look around to find you the lowest rate. I wouldn't be afraid to look toward other insurance companies if you feel they're screwing you. My agent has had me change providers twice now because he keeps finding better providers for me.

I have done that with my agent and have switched insurance a few times. This is a new law in Michigan that will affect all insurance companies insuring classic or antique cars here. Not a big deal but a hassle registering the car differently.

Auto Transport Service
Back