• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic industries prices gone up??

dodge68charger

Local time
3:58 AM
Reaction score
Has anyone else noiced how much classic industries prices went up since the new update on their site? Almost 30% on some items. The 20% off sales just bring them back to their original catalog price.. The Average guy cant afford to restore anything anymore

Some of the prices are getting VERY high, and not realistic for your average guy (me).
heck, I've been blown away by "NOS" prices!
Some of the NOS parts I understand why the cost may be extremely high on some parts (rare, hard to find, not repro'ed, concours resto., etc) but some stuff is ridiculous, saw a guy asking $300 for a "NOS" auto. brake pedal pad (no bezel)!!!! Wth???
i swear some guys are just putting "NOS" on some parts just to ask outlandish prices.

I swore off these guys months ago. Total BS as it was they same piece with the same marking. I will never put any of their parts in my cars. I tried to get price match on some items and they replied:

Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:08 AM
To: ''
Subject: RE: price match

Hello Sir,

A manager has reviewed your request for a price match of our part number MD4702 & MD4703/ Unfortunately, we will be unable to provide you with a price match for this item being that the manufactures for each product are not the same. Our vendor only sells these as individual, not sets. Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

Customer Service
[email protected]

www.classicindustries.com

18460 Gothard Street
Huntington Beach, CA 92648

Some of the prices are getting VERY high, and not realistic for your average guy (me).
heck, I've been blown away by "NOS" prices!
Some of the NOS parts I understand why the cost may be extremely high on some parts (rare, hard to find, not repro'ed, concours resto., etc) but some stuff is ridiculous, saw a guy asking $300 for a "NOS" auto. brake pedal pad (no bezel)!!!! Wth???
i swear some guys are just putting "NOS" on some parts just to ask outlandish prices.

IMHO Between the flippers, ebay, part hoarders, and the people with more money then brains, the prices have gone beyond stupid. I understand that the rare cars with hard to find parts will be expensive but I'm seeing rusted shell's with asking prices beyond what they should be. I got lucky with what I paid for my car even though it's a four door. But places like Classic mark up on some items 1000% over what they pay to cover the cost of doing business, and they know if you need it and can't find it then you will have to buy it at their price.

Thomas

I'd agree, the downside is that, "us" the consumers can't change companies that are doing this, UNLESS, we hit em where it hurts, their profits.
The problem is, that just one or two, or twenty people won't effect them enough to change, so, what can we do?
I just keep shopping for the best deal or the comp that WILL price match or offer discounts.

As far as cars go, I think a lot of the blame has to fall on televised classic auto auctions and shows about "ultra rare million doller barn finds".
Now, everyone out there that has a classic vehicle rotting away in their driveway, thinks that because they "saw one similar sell on Barrett Jackson for $ x amount" now thinks that theirs is worth some ludicrous amount.
case-in-point,
I found a shell of a 70 road runner;
quarters were rusted away, floor pans and trunk pans rusted away, no glass, no hood, no trunk, no interior, no drivetrain, no doors, no fenders, no grill, no bumpers, buried up to its drums in dirt, etc., a shell literally!
(i stopped hoping the guy had something else)
The guy immediately starts the "car salesman pitch" about how "rare" it was. It was supposedly "an orig hemi car, special ordered in Germany and then brought back to the U.S.", and because the "European hemis" were "so much more powerful" than the U.S. hemis.... "Chrysler took ownership of the car, because Europeans hemis were illegal in the U.S.", the guy continues that "Chrysler took the ultra powerful and rare European hemi out and put in a 440 6-pack and changed the VIN."
I was laughing because I thought the guy was messing with me... He wasn't.
I took one look at the VIN, and it was a 70 RR, 383, 4spd car, or used to be. So out of curiosity, I ask him "what's your asking price?" Without hesitation he says "$75,000".
I tried to explain to him that its a 383 RR, and theres no such thing as european hemis, etc. the guy literally thought I was trying to lie or cheat him!!!!
But, where do you think he got that figure? Yup, he "saw one sell on B-J...."
Personally, I would have liked to find out where he got the story from!!!

Found this one on fleabay. Nearly spat out my cornflakes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 257
it has been many years since i bought something from
those large catalog places like classic or year one.
i equal it to shopping at macy's or lord and taylors.
i cannot afford either, so i never even waste my time looking at thier overpriced repop crap.
they have nothing that you cannot find somewhere else.

i think people who use them are lazy
its easy to open a book find what you need and order..
it is not easy to spend the time to find and search out a better source.

nos parts i put in a different class
they are very rare,hard to find and they will acually fit and work properly
compared to the repop garbage they sell.
i have no problem paying extra for that to a point
but if it won't fit the budget, i just keep looking.

If you think ordering for one car is expensive just try doing it for four.I have all but given up on these places, They claim they are all about keeping the vintage cars alive and that's what we car lovers are trying to do,but with these prices it's beginning to be hard to do.I don't mind paying for what I need, but don't rip me off.I would like to buy US but it looks like we need a Chinese connection.

Like F*** did I. I told the guy that you was interested in it and you'd pick it up in person lol.

He called me this morning to arrange collection, and I said I was too busy rebuilding my HEMI 4 speed Con. '71 Cuda to be bothered with his tatty old steering wheel. :jerk: ..... :)

- - - Updated - - -

....and now that Classic have apparently increased their prices it has made my choice of supplier much easier for the big order I am ready to place. Nothing like narrowing down the choices...WTG Classic.

Auto Transport Service
Back