• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic shipping prices?

Tim2266ev2

Local time
9:28 AM
Reaction score
So, I get a coupon code from classic industries emailed to me. 20% off, I'll take it. Every little bit helps. I go to their web site and decide I finally want to buy the trim pieces where the roof meets my quarter panel on my 66 coronet. They were around 155 bucks so I figure I'll save 30 dollars or so. I add them to my cart and when it comes down to shipping, 30$ and change. That's outrageous for 2 pieces of trim that are around 8 inches long and weigh less than a pound combined. B.S.!!! No sale. I'll get mine redone before I pay that. Where do these places get off? Theirs and year ones shipping prices are through the roof. I know fuel prices are up, but come on. Your shipping price did away with the discount. Oh well there's my rant. Any one else notice this with them or any other places?

Sometimes they have promos with free shipping too. I waited for one of those before placing an order. They were cheaper than other places and with the discount AND free shipping, I saved a bundle.

It's all about the mighty $, anymore, most companies try to add profit into their product through shipping, and others have just gotten so big for their britches, they can't be bothered with shipping and let some overpriced shipping company deal with it and pass the over priced shipping cost to us. I was perusing eBay today, looking at some small items, they would have cost maybe a couple dollars USPS but they had a $14 charge for shipping, it was 3 times the cost of the part and it was only an e-brake pad. The personal touch is gone, rape pillage and who gives a crap is the business world today.
my rant is over

I was satisfied....but.

I ordered Hemi manifolds which are overweight and a Hellwig front sway bar which was oversized, so I did not qualify for the free shipping (I did get the 20% off though) and my total shipping cost to Minnesota was $33.90 plus $3.50 for insurance. I don't know if its because NJ is so much farther from CA or what but I think I got a good deal on my shipping....but I also think for two small trim pieces $30.00 is crazy. I guess what I usually do is add the item to my cart and if shipping is to much I go elsewhere and try to find the best deal or just wait for special offers if possible.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.......

A lot of vendors use a pre-determined mathematical formula for calculating shipping/handling cost on orders, which often leads to unhappy customers who believe S/H is way too much for the size and weight of the parts ordered.

We calculate shipping on a case-by-case basis to try and keep shipping/handling as "close to the bone" as we can. This can also lead to unhappy customers because they don't instantly know S/H cost within a half of a second of placing their order.

Moral of the story is that you just can't please everybody all of the time.

All you can do is just try to do the best that you can all of the time.....

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.......

A lot of vendors use a pre-determined mathematical formula for calculating shipping/handling cost on orders, which often leads to unhappy customers who believe S/H is way too much for the size and weight of the parts ordered.

We calculate shipping on a case-by-case basis to try and keep shipping/handling as "close to the bone" as we can. This can also lead to unhappy customers because they don't instantly know S/H cost within a half of a second of placing their order.

Moral of the story is that you just can't please everybody all of the time.

All you can do is just try to do the best that you can all of the time.....

I don't agree with that. As a business owner, myself included, you should try to please the customer ALL of the time, not just some of the time and pawn it off to a "pre determined mathematical formula" I call B.S. again. Thats like saying my landscape company should do that with all of our jobs. No matter what the size or scale, same price. Thats a great motto. You just lost my business as well.

Please re-read my post....especially the last two lines.

We/I try to do the best we can ALL THE TIME.

We do not use any pre-determined formula.

Sorry guys, but until Goodwill starts selling parts, you're going to have to deal with folks trying to run a business, and the name of the game there is making money. I agree about Classic and Year One's shipping prices, which is why I haven't ordered from Year One since 1988. As long as people keep paying them, the more they'll keep charging them, and it would be foolish of them not to.

As for ebay, I've seen lots of sellers playing games with shipping prices. Sometimes they are gotcha charges to snag people who don't take the time to check the shipping costs, but most of the time it's because seller fees are based on the purchase price, not the shipping price. So if you sell a $20 item that costs $7 to ship, and instead sell it for $4 and charge $23 to ship, you pay ebay a fee based on $4 vice $20.

Another thing to consider is overhead costs. Most business aren't like a mom & pop who handle an order by sticking it in a box, going to the post office at the end of the day or calling UPS/Fedex, and taking the time and labor out of hide. Bigger businesses hire people to pack those boxes, verify them, weigh them, calculate postage, prep them for delivery, and get them out the door, and all that stuff, including packing materials, are overhead expenses for them and those have to be paid for. So while you can go get a flat rate box from the USPS, stick something in it, and spend 10 minutes at the post office and spend $13 or whatever it is, a company sending out hundreds of parts a day can't, and that's a cost you have to share in.

We should all appreciate what we have cause someday, probably sooner rather than later, we'll also be paying taxes on all these parts shipped in from other states. The best thing to do is get your ducks in a row and don't buy parts onesies twosies. Order as much as you can afford at the same time cause shipping isn't gonna get any cheaper.

Auto Transport Service
Back