• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Classic Wolf... Timeless

imagejpg_10bf8063-a683-4d0d-ab8e-96b2dcad0cd7_large.jpg
:)

Lead singer John Kay was from Germany, then Canada. Many years ago he was inducted into Canada’s Walk of fame.
He gave a very gracious, very humble acceptance speech. Truly a class act. And his wife was beautiful.
I had a chance to see them in the mid eighties. I didn’t and have regretted it ever since.
When I see some of the no talent hacks that can pass themselves off as musicians now I shake my head. Just listen to some of the Steppenwolf stuff. Like really listen to it. Impeccable musicianship, powerful, well crafted songs.
No other song can capture the essence of strapping on a Harley like Born to be Wild. Magic Carpet Ride could be the anthem of the late sixties. The Pusher, so many other great songs.

BTW, the first album that I ever bought with my own money: in 1969 I was nine years old. I had been given albums by CCR, Edgar Winter and Deep Purple. Then I heard Steppenwolf. Had to have it, bought the album with my own money. Bought Steppenwolf Live not long after. Had and played both albums for more then thirty years.

Growing up as a military brat 71-72 living on Incirlik AFB Adana Turkey there was only one television channel & there were music videos done by bands or perhaps by the servicemen who ran the television broadcasts... Anyway there was a video done for this song that still runs through my mind... For those who don't know in that time snow was slang for heroin not cocaine... And with all the poppy fields around Turkey & the hash dens I'm sure this song was chosen for a video on the military television programming in the hope of preventing even just one more young serviceman becoming snow-blind..

Edit, I forgot the link to the song the comment pertains to...

Last edited:
Steppenwolf was a great group, great music for the era

the rest is skeptical at best
no thanks
Liberal Hippies Drug Culture coincides with health culture.jpg

In 68/69, my buddies and I ( we were blossoming at 14) snuck into the steppenwolf concert at Lane Community College in Eugene, Or.

There lead on band was this funny named band that no one had heard of before called Three Dog night... This was at the beginning of their popularity and they kicked ***.... Steppenwolf came on stage and they sucked.. They were actually booed off the stage, with everyone yelling for MORE Three Dog Night...

I had a similar thing happen in the early eighties. One of the bands that was huge in Canada but never seemed to catch on internationally was called Prism. I saw them like five times, they were great. Anyway, one time their opening band was a British group that nobody ever heard of before; City Boy.
City Boy came out and freakin’ KILLED! One of the best shows I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen a lot. Three encores. When they were done everyone was saying that we may as well go home now, Prism couldn’t come close to that. Prism came out and gave a terrific show, but even they had to realize that they were outgunned. I still listen to tapes of both bands, but the City Boy album “The Day The Earth Caught Fire” always reminds me of that night.

Auto Transport Service
Back