• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clay Smith fuel pump.

67coronetman

Local time
12:33 PM
Reaction score
I am installing a clay Smith high-volume mechanical fuel pump on my car and I'm curious to see if anyone out there has done the same and how you routed your fuel lines from the outlet tube up to a fuel regulator and then to your carburetor I have some ideas but sometimes some of the other guys out there have a lot better ideas and methods so if you have anything you can give me pictures of advice I appreciate it thank you.

IMG_20200412_200304297.jpg IMG_20200412_133700908.jpg

At probably maximum 6psi. it's pretty much bang on for any single 4 barrel setup.[/QUOT
This fuel pump is not a stock fuel pump it puts out 14 PSI is much an electric fuel pump this is a clay Smith racing fuel pump that you can buy anymore that's why you have to run a regulator with it are you a carburetor will be toast

That's a lot of psi from a mechanical pump!
Yes that is a lot of pressure but that's what I have to run because that's what I have at this time home electric fuel pumps have burn up and this pump was used on a buddy's car and he never had a problem with it I'm supplied more than enough pressure and it'll keep my pressure right at 7 lb where I need it for my car
csfuelpumps (3).jpg
csfuelpumps (3).jpg

Some of this is getting really hard to read and still get the intent of the message. Is this pump no longer available or what?

Some of this is getting really hard to read and still get the intent of the message. Is this pump no longer available or what?
Okay what I was asking was I just want to know anyone that has ran a mechanical fuel pump that is a higher PSI than what you would use from the factory how did they wear out their fuel lines and hook a regulator up to it to go to their carburetor I have an idea how I want to run mine but others may have had a better idea.

I cant remember anyone ever running a regulator with a mechanical pump. I've always run a return line back to the tank to avoid using a regulator unless you use an in tank electrical pump,.,.,.

Well I've never heard of anybody not running a regulator when a pump puts out 14 to 16 PSI and pumps 140 gallons per hour.. I would have to see your car will not run very long even with the return line

15867418661237545706187013068602.png 15867418661237545706187013068602.png

Last edited:
Well I've never heard of anybody not running a regulator when I pump puts out 14 to 16 PSI and puts 140 gallons per hour.. I would have to see your car will not run very long even with the return line

View attachment 935400 View attachment 935401

You're also saying that you're going to cut this in half and run at 7psi. What set-up are you running? Even 7psi seems high for a carbureted system.

If you're set on running this pump, direct your outlet line to the shock tower, mount your regulator there and then run your carb feed line. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

I meant with a standard mechanical running 4-7 psi
I had one of those but it didn't want to do any more than 5 PSI which my motor needs a consistent 6 1/2 to 7 PSI.. if I don't it just starve the motor for fuel that's why I'm going with this bigger one

You're also saying that you're going to cut this in half and run at 7psi. What set-up are you running? Even 7psi seems high for a carbureted system.

If you're set on running this pump, direct your outlet line to the shock tower, mount your regulator there and then run your carb feed line. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
That's what I was looking at doing a buddy of mine done his just a little different I just wanted to see what others had done because somebody else may have a better idea or set up than what I was thinking I'm always open to suggestion

I had a friend who actually ran it back to the frame rail then through the frame rails cut a hole and come up near the back of the firewall or it's all boxed in and back up a lot of work but it was clean
That would actually look good and keep your lines away from your headers. Mount the regulator back there. Be careful of your heater box though!

Auto Transport Service
Back