• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clean and Polish Anodized Grille

I stripped stripped and sanded with 2000 grit paper then polished all anodized trim with a soft buffer wheel. Then I coated every piece of trim with a product called Shark Hide(goggle it) over 10 years ago. Haven't had to polish again. I also used it on my wheels and SS trim. Just follow instructions.

20210501_113935.jpg

I restored all the aluminum trim for a friend with a 63 427 Galaxie a couple years ago - and that’s a lot of trim. I coated it with Sharkhide also. It is an excellent aluminum sealer.

Watch this video. Very Easy.

I have to ask,
Is it really that easy to strip the anodizing off ?

I think Im going to have to try this .
I dont have anything to lose other than some time.
And waiting on AC parts so I have some time

Last edited:
small update.

I used the above method to strip the anodizing and it works really well

I built a tank out of wood and 6 mil plastic to submerge the mldgs . I let it soak for maybe 5 minutes then pull it out and let it sit for maybe another 3 or 4 minutes,. Once exposed out and in the air it will really start to fizzle .
Once thats done, take a water hose and wash it off .

I used some small flat faced punches to fix some small dings then snagged some used finger nail files from the wife to sand them from the top side

I bought a cheap benchtop buffer at harbor freight and went to work . Ive got maybe 10 to 12 hours in all the side trim on my 67 Coronet 500 .
They came out fantastic, Not pro quality mind you. But for about $100 all in, Im happy .

Anyone know the best way to clean and prep to repaint the black areas ?
Im think alcohol
Windex maybe ?

PS< And I cant stress this enough
Wear long pants, eye protection and gloves. Trust me....... this crap burns on your skin

mldg.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back