• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clean fuel tank sock

JG1966

Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
I'm putting a new fuel tank in my 72 RR. I am using my original sending unit, which I recently replaced the brass float and sock. It reads my fuel level perfectly and works really well. But while I have it out, I'd like to clean the already clean sock as much as possible. Just spray with carb cleaner? Any suggestions? Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I ended up using carb cleaner (ran out of it), then brakleen and compressed air. All good. Got lots of dirt out of the little guy.
One more question, please
--- I'm gonna blow out all the dirty gas from my gas line (starting at fuel pump and blowing back). Do I need to "bleed" the line somehow afterward to remove air from system when I have a brand new tank and empty gas lines? Or when I fill with gas and pump gas pedal and turn over engine and fill system with gas, the air bleeds itself?

Thanks everyone. I ended up using carb cleaner (ran out of it), then brakleen and compressed air. All good. Got lots of dirt out of the little guy.
--- I'm gonna blow out all the dirty gas from my gas line (starting at fuel pump and blowing back). Do I need to "bleed" the line somehow afterward to remove air from system when I have a brand new tank and empty gas lines? Or when I fill with gas and pump gas pedal and turn over engine and fill system with gas, the air bleeds itself?

Yes. It will fill/bleed by itself.
Mike

Why blow dirty fuel into tank. Use your fuel pump to pump fuel into a can.

Why blow dirty fuel into tank. Use your fuel pump to pump fuel into a can.
Thanks Fran. But the new tank isn't on. I blew the dirty gas into a little bucket at the rear end. Tank is going on now. :)

Thanks Fran. But the new tank isn't on. I blew the dirty gas into a little bucket at the rear end. Tank is going on now. :)
Thinking that after I posted. Got the answer I expected.:thumbsup:

Thinking that after I posted. Got the answer I expected.:thumbsup:
I'm still learning a lot when it comes to Mopars/cars, and you guys have helped me countless times over the years and I can't express my appreciation enough. But even I knew to blow out the gas first. :). That said, I just got tank up and started the bolts, looked over and saw my gas tank vibration pad sitting there. Duooh! It's in there now.

I just got tank up and started the bolts, looked over and saw my gas tank vibration pad sitting there. Duooh! It's in there now.
It's a duh moment when you do that again on the next project lol. Sometimes I just wonder what I'm thinking when stuff like that happens....

Be careful with brake parts cleaner. It is an excellent, instantaneous paint remover.

I recommend Techron....
I had an EFI 4 banger. Wouldn't start when warm. 1 bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner and 1 bottle of Techron gas treatment and never had a problem again.
I use Chevron or Texaco w/Techron ever since whenever possible. Got the "white paper" on Techron I was so impressed so I could learn more. NOT ALL GAS IS THE SAME! Proprietary additives make a difference!

Auto Transport Service
Back