• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cleaning brake fluid from body/frame

YY1

Local time
5:14 AM
Reaction score
My new 73 satellite has a leaking master cylinder.

What can I do to clean the brake fluid off the firewall and frame (including inside the frame) and prep it so it doesn't rust out later?

The car has undercoating and I can see where the brake fluid has loosened it and caused some to peel away.
It's right where the K frame bolts to the frame rail.
I can also see surface rust starting on and in the frame rail.

This is the same place I've seen so many of this year car rust out.

I was thinking brake-clean to start with.
Then I guess wire wheel, sandblast, etc.

Then what? especially inside the frame...

thanks

PS- check out my new Satellite score in the 71-74 section.

Brake fluid is easily washed away with water. Get the hose out. Put a bathroom fan heater under the car for a couple of days to dry the inside of the frame rails after you flush it. Liberally spray the frame area with LPS3, which is a creeping oil that will coat the steel and displace moisture. It's used to prevent corrosion in aircraft wings, and works great in our cars.

-=Photon440=-

By the way, where does one find new 73 satellites these days? A car lot with a really slow moving back row? :)

Besides my truck with 31,*** (and a motor cycle or two) this is the lowest mileage vehicle I've ever purchased at 53,758. It beat the 20 year newer 03 PT cruiser by 200 miles!

Thanks for the tip.
I wonder if that LPS3 is similar to what eastwood is advertizing to spray inside the frame?

Last edited:
...and at 53,*** miles it's almost "just out of warranty"!!

Auto Transport Service
Back