• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clear coat recommendations

70rrclone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
I am finally getting stuff together to paint my 70 Satellite. I am using Cromax base coat. The local paint store says chromabase 7400s is what is commonly used in the local area. This stuff has a 1 min flash time and can be buffed in 45 mins. This seems fast especially for a complete paint job done in a garage. Are there better compatible options out there? The car will be outside a lot so I need good uv protection.
Thanks
Shane

IMHO --

7400s is more of a production/collision type clear --

"A three-component, clearcoat designed for panel and multi-panel repairs. It is ideal for facilities with air dry conditions that require fast assembly times. 7400S™ can be polished within 30 minutes."
=== from website

We do not use Dupont clear on our cars - but do on occasion use Dupont base coat (does a exceptional job color matching for Chevrolet)

Think a more standard Cromax/Axalta clear that is used for an all-over paint job would be a better choice, can use fast/slow hardeners to get the desired effect.
Find a clear with high solids, will be the "clearest" and do a much better job with UVs.

Bill

Axalta 7900s ChromaClear. It’s worth the coin.

That 7400 with a one minute flashtime- you won’t have enough time to get around the car.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'll check into the 7900s today.
Shane

I just used some today!

1684789831316.png

Auto Transport Service
Back