• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleco's or sheetmetal screws

Propwash

Local time
12:37 PM
Reaction score
Hey fella's,

In the past i've been using 1/8"-3/16" cleco's for alignment and securing panels for weld up for a long time. I have heard of guys using sheet metal screws as well. Have any of you guys used the sheet metal screws instead? How did they work out for you? Any issues as far as warpage, dents?

Thanks

I would be interested to know as well. I have been using pan head metal stud framing screws to preassemble things to make sure all my panel alignment is good,but I have not used them to hold panels together while I weld them yet. But I was planning on it, good question Propwash.

We use cleco's once in a while, but it's mostly sheet metal screws, and vise grips. if you place them in the right location, and you don't over tighten the screws, you'll be fine. We do it all the time.

I have a few different styles of temporary attachment including Cleco's but I always reach for the self tapping 1/4" head sheetmetal screws and a magnetic bit.

Getting some great tips here! Keep 'em coming. Btw, always found the 1/4" self-tappers you get from the warehouse stores suck! Get them from a bolt supplier or a Heating/Cooling/sheetmetal supply house. Trust me, there IS that big a difference in them!

I have used both. Taking my time I find the clecos work the best since I use a pneumatic flanger/puncher. When I am too lazy to pull out the puncher or on a curved surface, I use the screws.

I prefer the "self-drilling sheet metal" vs. the "pierce and twist sheet metal" type. The self-drillers usually make a cleaner hole to weld up later. Of course, they are more expensive.

I get mine from mcmaster:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#tapping-screws/=5ou4id

I can get 3-4 uses out of each screw if I use thread cutting oil.

Randy

I'm a sheet metal worker by trade so of course I use screws! I generally screw through the patch into a flange, tack everything up well, remove the screws, and drill the screw holes with a 5/16 bullet bit. I only drill the outer layer, and plug weld the hole. Works for me!

Hey thanks for all the great imput guys! Definitly gives me a good feel on what to expect moving forward.

One more question for ya. A few different times we had the 3M rep talking with us about the panel bonding technology, he metioned that it is has been noted that over time non-descreate areas bonded may stain/show through due to different thermal/stress expansion properties between sheetmetal and the panel bonding material. Have any of you guys experienced this? I've used the stuff for full quarter replacement but not patches. I have never noticed any issues from my end, but then again i don't really run into any of my past work too often.

The reason i'm asking all of this is my brother-in-law asked me to help him out with some mid panel quarter skins on a 72 Chevelle and he is dead set on using panel adhesive. He is also dead set on using sheetmetal screws instead of dropping $100 bucks on a decent cleco set.

Thanks again!

Well Propwash, I think if the panel bond adhesive is used properly, I don't think you'll have a problem.
I work in a Chrysler dealership body shop as well as restoring muscle cars, and I have never had any problems with staining. I think if there was a problem, we would see those cars again.
I have done some patch work on some old cars, and used glue, and I haven't had any problems.
Just my two cents.

Screws work better than Cleco's which where designed for very light aluminum paneling in the air craft industry. the self tappers can not be beat.

Thanks guys....Gives me a bit more faith in the product. I favor welding a bit more myself, but that's what I grew up on so call me "bias". Panel bonding sure has come a long way and the experience I had with it always seemed to be pretty positive.

Thanks again

Hey alleyoop, enjoy the snow! Heard you guys were looking at 8-12 inches of the white stuff.

T

Hey alleyoop, enjoy the snow! Heard you guys were looking at 8-12 inches of the white stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty brutal around here! :snow plow: I don't understand why I live up here? Need to move some place warm! :GirlsOnBeach:

:snow plow:<------------That was just me minus the truck, add a steel shovel.

I would be happy with a couple sunny days of 40*F degrees right now

Well Propwash, I think if the panel bond adhesive is used properly, I don't think you'll have a problem.
I work in a Chrysler dealership body shop as well as restoring muscle cars, and I have never had any problems with staining. I think if there was a problem, we would see those cars again.
I have done some patch work on some old cars, and used glue, and I haven't had any problems.
Just my two cents.

Agreed, staining isn't an issue, but in a high visibility area such as the sail panel a ghost line may appear over time due to expansion and contraction. I have seen this first hand. Bonding in certain areas is better than welding!

Ahhhhh, 50F...sounds real nice. Fire up the weber, throw on some Buffet, Pina Coloda's all around...

Ha Ha Ha, you don;t strike me as the pina coloda type!.:rolling:

I think your right matt. We'll save the ice cream for the women and kids. Good ol' can of Bud always works for me. Now that you mention it, think i'm gonna gonna go have one now. Thanks for the inspiration buddy! :cheers2:

Since I got you online here, got a quick question for ya.. I don't know if you frequent Craigslist or not, but there is a 69 Roadrunner around your neck of the woods for sale. It's blue with a 6 pack hood scoop, no engine/tranny or interior. He wants $2500. Have you seen or heard anything about this car?

Have a good one

I think your right matt. We'll save the ice cream for the women and kids. Good ol' can of Bud always works for me. Now that you mention it, think i'm gonna gonna go have one now. Thanks for the inspiration buddy! :cheers2:

Since I got you online here, got a quick question for ya.. I don't know if you frequent Craigslist or not, but there is a 69 Roadrunner around your neck of the woods for sale. It's blue with a 6 pack hood scoop, no engine/tranny or interior. He wants $2500. Have you seen or heard anything about this car?

Have a good one

As a matter of fact, Yes I do know about that car!. Jeff is a friend of mine and that is a great project car that I would be all over at that price if I didn't have my hands full already. I would call it an AMD special, good frame rails, needs floors and quarter work, etc.. It is a real Road Runner post coupe with a fender tag, I think, and was originally white exterior, bucket seat console 4 spd. car. I think it was also an 8 track car with the radio still in it. At any rate it is a roller with some kool options that would definitely be worth restoring. He also has most of what is missing avaliable at extra cost, dude has 3 garages full of parts and he is pretty fair on his pricing, I met him through his Craigslist ads a couple of years back and we have become friends. Don't hesitate to call him and tell him Matt sent you.
Cheers right back to you, although it's a little early for a cold one.:grin:

Ahhhhh, 50F...sounds real nice. Fire up the weber, throw on some Buffet, Pina Coloda's all around...

Ok, you lost me at Pina Colada...but I did fire up the Q' last night and flipped a big ol' bloody steak on...and sucked back a few beers...life is good!

Auto Transport Service
Back