• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clips and bolts on paint

JR_Charger

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
72_bumper_bolts_paint_damage.JPG

How do I keep this kind of thing from happening? Not just on the bumper here, but there are so many stamped sheet metal parts that are held together with these clips -

68_clip.JPG

I imagine all these clips are going to shift around, scraping off paint, rust will set in and in a few years all of my work will be undone.

Tape around the whole then trum tape after installation. If removing hold clip solid and back the bolt out by hand tools not impacts. Just a thought

A little white grease wiped on before the clip is carefully spread and popped into place and then tipped tight to the direction it's going to want to spin during tightening.

That J-nut is so wasted, it lost it's self tension long ago. Replace them with new J-nuts and they will fit tighter!

That J-nut is so wasted, it lost it's self tension long ago. Replace them with new J-nuts and they will fit tighter!

this and also the rust and pits in the clips are like sandpaper on your new paint buying new would make a big difference.

What is the best source for these J nuts? Looks like there's a couple types.

I've been thinking about the paint scraping problem - maybe it would be possible to slip heat shrink tubing over them? It would be difficult to get it around the bend in the nut, but it might be possible?

I found some 1mm thick rubber sheeting on eBay. I'll try that behind the bumper bolts.

What is the best source for these J nuts? Looks like there's a couple types.

I've been thinking about the paint scraping problem - maybe it would be possible to slip heat shrink tubing over them? It would be difficult to get it around the bend in the nut, but it might be possible?

I found some 1mm thick rubber sheeting on eBay. I'll try that behind the bumper bolts.

There's this stuff called PlastiDip ...

For bumper bolts I coat the inside of the bolt heads with clear silicone to avoid the metal on metal contact, and for the j nuts, I'll open them a bit before installing them.

There's this stuff called PlastiDip ...

If I could get the heat shrink on, I could be sure it wouldn't peel off, and the thickness would be consistent (not thin at the edges, or inside).

J-nuts are available at any parts store, and AMK Bolt . As far as scratching paint, it is minimal and will never be seen. You could install the J-nut and then paint. TBH, the panel will not rust out in your lifetime let alone however long we will still be allowed to keep the "Evil Smog Producing Gas Guzzler's"!!

My local hardware store had these "fender washers" in a perfect size for the bumper bolts -

77_fender_washers.JPG

All I had to do was square-up the opening. They squashed out more than I would have liked, but they're doing the job.

I found some 1mm thick, adhesive backed rubber sheet on eBay and am using it to protect the paint in metal-to-metal contact areas -

78_rubber_padding.JPG

I wish it was softer, but maybe it will be o.k.

I bought a bunch of various size, thin rubber washers and thin plastic washers from McMaster-Carr years ago to install under body assembly bolts to protect the paint. You can also make them out of plastic blister pack flat sections with a gasket hole punch set. I don’t use them under anything that needs to be really tight for integrity and safety.

Auto Transport Service
Back