• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Adjustment

slepr1

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
My rebuilt a833 is now installed and I noticed when shifting into reverse I need to push the clutch pedal right to the floor. If the pedal isn't 'all-the-way-to-the-floor' it will not engage, confirmed by nasty grinding noises. Unfortunately I haven't had a change to drive the car to check out gears 1-4 to see if each gear requires the same effort. I know their is an adjustment for this. I hope someone could explain it to me or point me to where I could find some step by steps. A new Centerforce DF Clutch was installed and the over center string was removed. Thanks!

adjustment is made at the rod that goes from "Z" bar to clutch fork. When adjusting, you are looking for 1/4" to 1/2" of free play at the clutch pedal inside the car...

also make sure the fork return spring is still attached to the clutch fork to the engine block. Service manual will show where this is located

And not really necessary to remove the over center spring.....I'm running diaphragm style pressure plate and still retain the large spring inside the car

Thanks. I found a previous thread with the service manual instructions on how to adjust the clutch free play. I didn't realize this was the problem. I will give it a shot.

- - - Updated - - -

also make sure the fork return spring is still attached to the clutch fork to the engine block. Service manual will show where this is located

In the service manual is says "Fork Return Spring - 6 Cly models only". Should I be having one anyway for a 440?

In the service manual is says "Fork Return Spring - 6 Cly models only". Should I be having one anyway for a 440?

They should all have the fork return spring.

yea, all should have the return spring...you must have the wrong service manual

my manuals show it for every engine

yea, all should have the return spring...you must have the wrong service manual

my manuals show it for every engine

Yes looking closer I do see another diagram that shows different location for 318 and other V8.

Auto Transport Service
Back