• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch choice need advice

Bill76

Local time
12:24 PM
Reaction score
Looking for new clutch setup for67 rt , had center force dual friction , broke it in for 500 miles and first hole shot with street tires the only smoke was from clutch WTF. Yes it was adjusted according to the 15 year old whom answered the tech line, needless to say this piece of crap is getting close to the scrap pile.
Looking for recommendation a single disc clutch disc and pressure plate that can take a hot 440 and put the power to the tires instead going up in smoke.
Not concerned about pedal pressure -- not that feeble to push in a clutch pedal yet.
Car will see street driving with some street fighting
has 3.55 rear gear --11 inch 18 spline clutch--no slicks.
thanks in advance Bill

How 'hot' is the 440? Heard both bad and good about the CF clutches. Adjusted correctly....how much pedal free play did it have before smoking it?

How 'hot' is the 440? Heard both bad and good about the CF clutches. Adjusted correctly....how much pedal free play did it have before smoking it?
Had about 2 inches free pedal (assist spring was removed also) and about .250 clearance between throw out bearing and pressure plate fingers

I had a 3 finger borg and beck design McLeod pressure plate and the street strip clutch disc.
The pressure plate boogered up, broken parts and not under duress or from an "event" that I could point to, it just happened. One of the 3 fingers would not fully release, and chunks of metal parts fell out when I removed the pp.
McLeod stopped making that pp! I know for a fact that others had problems with it. It was around 3,000 pounds of clamping pressure.
McLeod sent me a 2,900 pound DIAPHRAGM style pp and I reinstalled the same street strip clutch disc that was in it. I have had ZERO slippage when the clutch is out, and that includes track runs.
315/35/17 Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, 3.54 then 4.10 ring and pinion gears, 70 Roadrunner with a warmed up 440 6bbl.
I have toasted the wide drag radials a few times, sometimes on purpose and sometimes from too many RPMs at launch. The ONLY time the clutch slips is when I push in on the clutch and want it to.
I am going to a hydraulic clutch and HitMaster launch control system, and I may try my existing disc and pp depending on what McLeod recommends, or I may have to upgrade the disc, pp, or both to handle the job of slipping without damaging the disc and/or pp.
If I have to upgrade, I'm selling the stout setup I have now.
85% of my time in the Roadrunner is cruising.

I went with the Ram HDX clutch (Part #88504H from Classic). So far so good; however, I have not drag raced but I have launched with no clutch slip.
88504H_thumb.jpg
88504H_thumb.jpg

+ Click to Expand

88504H

Just took all my measurements
11 inch disc
143 tooth ring gear
1 3/16 x 18 input spline
12 5/8 pressure plate bolt pattern
I will have to start calling around tomorrow to see if I can find a 2800 lb pressure plate and disc that will fit this bolt pattern that I think is common , then figure out if I want the dual friction disc.
Looking through the catalogs is some times comparing apples to oranges

Auto Transport Service
Back