• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

clutch kit recommendation

Charlied

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
Will need to replace my clutch shorty, and would appreciate recommendations or what to stay away from.
Trans is 4spd A-833
Engine 400 big block
Car is a cruiser no racing
Seen McLeod 75109 and 75209 (which seems like overkill)
Seen Luk, any good?
Any opinion on diaphragm vs 3 finger ?
130 tooth flywheel
Thanks
Charlie

Running the 75109 behind my 340 and have no complaints. Just remember if you go diaphragm style you need to remove the over center spring from the clutch pedal.

Luk is a brand used by most transmission shops in my area. It's a good quality replacement for someone who is not going to be racing, doing burnouts excessively, etc. No need to pay for a McLeod, CenterForce, Hays, etc. Always replace the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing and get the flywheel surfaced. I would stick with whatever came in your car; Borg & Beck (3 finger) or Diaphram. Keep it simple.

Luk is a brand used by most transmission shops in my area. It's a good quality replacement for someone who is not going to be racing, doing burnouts excessively, etc. No need to pay for a McLeod, CenterForce, Hays, etc. Always replace the pilot bearing and throw-out bearing and get the flywheel surfaced. I would stick with whatever came in your car; Borg & Beck (3 finger) or Diaphram. Keep it simple.
Dave,
Thanks for your quick response and sage advice, much appreciated. The car is a cruiser ,no racing,no burnouts, so a plain vanilla replacement with a good quality kit is the way to go, along with other points you say. Thanks again.
Charlie

You will love the Centerforce Dual Friction. Best street strip clutch I've ever owned. Takes all kinds of punishment. Never slips. Never chatters. 3750 E body running 12.50s in street trim.
Doug

Running the 75109 behind my 340 and have no complaints. Just remember if you go diaphragm style you need to remove the over center spring from the clutch pedal.
Thanks for the recommendation. Question, why is it necessary to remove over center spring ?

Thanks for the recommendation. Question, why is it necessary to remove over center spring ?

The over center spring is designed to help depress the clutch. With a diaphragm pressure plate that functionality is designed into the plate spring itself. If you don't remove the spring it can over actuate the throwout bearing and wont allow the pedal to come back up. That being said always check the manufacturers suggestions as some diaphragm systems may have been designed with retrofit in mind and may not require pedal spring removal. Most high performance models do like Mcleod, Centerforce, etc. but not sure on OEM replacements like LUK.

FWIW, In the stock application the OC spring works in both directions. One side of center aids operator leg effort while the other side of center pulls the pedal up to the stop and holds it there.

The over center spring is designed to help depress the clutch. With a diaphragm pressure plate that functionality is designed into the plate spring itself. If you don't remove the spring it can over actuate the throwout bearing and wont allow the pedal to come back up. That being said always check the manufacturers suggestions as some diaphragm systems may have been designed with retrofit in mind and may not require pedal spring removal. Most high performance models do like Mcleod, Centerforce, etc. but not sure on OEM replacements like LUK.
Thanks for the education.Think I leaning towards the original style 3 finger, less chance of something going wrong.

FWIW, In the stock application the OC spring works in both directions. One side of center aids operator leg effort while the other side of center pulls the pedal up to the stop and holds it there.
Thanks for the education,think I will stick with the original style, less chance of any compatibility issues.

I’ve talked to Brewer’s,recommend McLeod 75109 diaphragm. Any opinion on Ram clutches? They have a B & B type.
Ram is good. I bet they wouldn't handle them if they weren't. I would put in a Ram over a rebuilt or even a new replacement. It will be a bit heavier duty than a Lux oem replacement. You might want to get on it a few times and no reason not to have a good clutch without going overboard. Brewer's are good. They know their stuff.

I’ve talked to Brewer’s,recommend McLeod 75109 diaphragm. Any opinion on Ram clutches? They have a B & B type.
Ram clutches are pretty good for stock applications. I melted my last Ram clutch disc and ruined the pressure plate, but that was totally my fault (doing burn outs, don’t ask).

I just picked up a LUK flywheel/disc/pressure plate/tb combo. I’ll let you know once I get it installed and some time on it.

luk-fly-clutch.jpg

I've tried out the 3-finger clutches in a couple of my friends Mopars with the over center spring and the diaphragm clutch in my 66 Satellite is far smoother, lower effort and more linear effort than theirs. That over center spring arrangement is an acquired taste.

Ram clutches are pretty good for stock applications. I melted my last Ram clutch disc and ruined the pressure plate, but that was totally my fault (doing burn outs, don’t ask).

I just picked up a LUK flywheel/disc/pressure plate/tb combo. I’ll let you know once I get it installed and some time on it.

View attachment 1057195
Good Luk! Yuck Yuck Yuck

Agreed, that would be penny wise and pound foolish !
Flywheel was resurfaced once, can it be turned again?
Thanks for education.
Should be able to unless its been done too many times before or has other issues. Check with whoever does the surfacing and look for cracks/heat spots that are too big/deep. Are you going to be tossing some rpm to it like you are a kid test driving dads car with your buddies? May want to bite the bullet and get a new wheel then so you can alleviate being called stumpy because it came apart.

Ram is good. I bet they wouldn't handle them if they weren't. I would put in a Ram over a rebuilt or even a new replacement. It will be a bit heavier duty than a Lux oem replacement. You might want to get on it a few times and no reason not to have a good clutch without going overboard. Brewer's are good. They know their stuff.
Thanks, did a little more research, do you have any opinion on Platinum Driveline clutches ? Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back