• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch pedal overcenter spring

ARBirdman

Local time
3:41 AM
Reaction score
Was just wondering if there was an easy way to put the overcenter spring back on the pedal assy under the dash
Thanks

Stretch it out and put washers in between the spring coils to hold it stretched.

IMG_5886.jpg

Look under the dash and move the clutch pedal to find & measure the shortest distance between the mounting pins. Working on the bench or a engine hoist stretch the spring past that distance, put spacers between the coils.

Use long spacers that catch both sides of the spring so the spring is straight, you will be giving up length if you don’t.

Take the spring and put it in the car, move the pedal to a stretched longer position and remove all the shims. Done.

Last edited:
Lossen the pedal assy from the firewall. This will allow the pedal to travel further towardsthe floor. The spring will slip right on.
Doug

You know, I've never figured out how to get the dang thing out from whatever has a hold of it on the firewall side?
Mine is still in the car even though it's disconnected from the pedal (running the CenterForce DF clutch).

You know, I've never figured out how to get the dang thing out from whatever has a hold of it on the firewall side?
Mine is still in the car even though it's disconnected from the pedal (running the CenterForce DF clutch).

Mine on my 68 Charger just came right off the pin on the firewall side. The hook isn't a full hook so I tipped it back and it came right off.

Thanks for all the help I was embarrassed to even ask the question but that spring can be a bear.

I had the same problem ten years or so I contemplated for a few days but then it hit me. I used a brake drum spring tool just as you were to stretch the spring to go over the anchor pin on drum brakes had it on in seconds.

Put an I-bolt in the firewall hole used for the spring.

Auto Transport Service
Back