• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coating for inside the trunk....

lochenjons

Local time
4:03 PM
Reaction score
I posted all my progress on my build thread but I wanted to reach out in a separate thread to see what you guys think. Just put the trunk pan in my '70 charger... its welded in and good to go (or it will be after some seam sealer this weekend). Sprayed some POR-15 over the bare metal welds inside and used the brushable POR-15 for the bottom seam areas and weld spots.

What do you recommend for a coating inside the trunk? There's mild surface rust on the inside of the quarter panels but nothing major. I was thinking sand/grind it down then brush some POR-15 on there? But what about undercoating? Should I undercoat inside the trunk over the POR-15? The car will need some body work when it goes to body and paint should I just leave it as is until then?

Plan for the underside of the car is POR-15 most everything I can and then undercoat everything.

Thanks for all the help.

I posted all my progress on my build thread but I wanted to reach out in a separate thread to see what you guys think. Just put the trunk pan in my '70 charger... its welded in and good to go (or it will be after some seam sealer this weekend). Sprayed some POR-15 over the bare metal welds inside and used the brushable POR-15 for the bottom seam areas and weld spots.

What do you recommend for a coating inside the trunk? There's mild surface rust on the inside of the quarter panels but nothing major. I was thinking sand/grind it down then brush some POR-15 on there? But what about undercoating? Should I undercoat inside the trunk over the POR-15? The car will need some body work when it goes to body and paint should I just leave it as is until then?

Plan for the underside of the car is POR-15 most everything I can and then undercoat everything.

Thanks for all the help.
Are you going with body color in the trunk or....?

It sounds like you may do other work in the trunk and don't want a thick coating?i
On a project cars if I have an area I don't clean the rust off, or if I can't clean it, I've had good results with this keeping the rust from coming back.
I'm just not a fan of "coating" anyway.
I've sprayed it in inside rocker panels, frame rails and cowls.
Areas I can't reach.
If you are going to paint over it with auto paint, just do a coat of lacquer primer over the Rustoleum.
Really, what ever works for your particular situation.

7769730_1108_SRT_8oz_RustyMetalPrimer_480x480.png

Rad thanks, yes I am planning to paint it the body color eventually. I think I’ll try and clean the rust off the areas then hit it with the rustoleum. Or POR15. Rustoleum might be better since it’s going to be painted?

I would sand it ,hit it with por -15 and then leave it until the body work and paint is done. That way if they have to work the metal from the back side all they would do is maybe scratch the por -15 . Top coat with whatever when it's out of body & paint.

Auto Transport Service
Back