• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coilover disc brake sizing

supergluehero

Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
I'm going to be putting in a coilover suspension system from RMS/QA1 or similar that use the Mustang II spindles. My wheels are 18" so I can fit a wide variety of disc sizes. My question is: how much brake do I really need? I can do the math, but some advice from someone with firsthand knowledge will go a long way. I can go with an 11" rotor and do front and back for the same price as 14" on the fronts only. I currently have stock discs up front and they don't inspire too much confidence. I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but modern Dodge Challengers have 14" rotors front and back with a similar weight. I'm going to be using this mainly in a street application, so I don't need to worry too much about fade and max heat dissipation like you would need in an autocross application. You can spend as much as you want on brakes, but I'm trying not to overspend so I can spend that money elsewhere on the build. Should I spend as much as my budget allows on the fronts and leave the back as drums or should I go more conservative upfront so I can afford discs all around? Looking for thoughts and opinions since I know there's not one right answer.

Auto Transport Service
Back