• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

colapsed hose

moparfanUSA

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
My upper Rad. hose collapses once the engine cools down, works fine while hot. The system is full and the car runs at 185 for hours, but once shut off the middle collapses a couple hours later.
Any ideas why?

My upper Rad. hose collapses once the engine cools down, works fine while hot. The system is full and the car runs at 185 for hours, but once shut off the middle collapses a couple hours later.
Any ideas why?
I believe this is a problem with the rad cap. Do you have an overflow tank/hose?

I'll second the cap. Unless you have a pressurized surge tank (doubtful) the cap should have a 2 way valve in it so that it can vent over pressure as well as compensate for contraction during cooling. I'd replace the cap.............. and maybe use a hose with an anti collapse spring in it.

RadiatorCap-2b.jpg

I had this happen, but my issue was the tube to the overflow bottle was clogged. Cleared the tube, and done. But, the clog was just keeping the cap from doing it's job, so yeah it's the cap, or associated items.

Spring in hose is usually lower hose because of suction from water pump. Top hose is return to radiator to cool things a bit.

Yea it might be the cap, I will take a look at it.
Thanks

I had a 'restoration' cap do that before. Simply crack open the cap once it cools a bit and you'll hear the inrush of air and the hose will pop back into shape.

Yup, cap was the culprit. Put a new one on and it worked fine.

Auto Transport Service
Back