• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cold paint

Cornpatch MO

Local time
11:52 PM
Reaction score
I took my 64 Dodge to a retired auto body friend to prep and paint it. That was about 3 months ago while the weather was still warm. I told him to just work it in when he had time. It is all block sanded , but he has had to move it out of the shop to do some other small jobs. Here is my concern: His shop will be warm while he paints it with Urathane and can probably stay in the shop for a couple of days. When it is done, the weather outside will be below freezing , maybe down to 10 degrees.

Your opinion please--will this be harmful to the new paint? After I get new exhaust put on, the car will be in a garage kept above 40 degree. Or should I wait till next Spring ( hope not) Thanks for any input.....................MO

Consider this... What happens to the many cars that see collision damage? Are they painted then kept inside for extended periods for paint to cure, or are they quickly returned to customers who immediately drive them?...many, never to be parked back inside again. If their paint jobs didn't hold up, do you think they would stay in business?

Why wait until exhaust gets put on to put it in a 40 degree garage? Why not pick it up once he's done and take it directly to the 40 degree garage?

I would have it painted if he has the opportunity. Gives it all winter to cure.

Todays paints dry chemically...not by evaporation as much as they used to. I wouldn't be afraid to get it cold the next day..thats what happens in the real world of paint and body repair. after 24 hours it should be ready for whatever weather you subject it to.

As long as the car is in the shop and brought up to ambient temperature inside before painting there should be no problem.

Consider this... What happens to the many cars that see collision damage? Are they painted then kept inside for extended periods for paint to cure, or are they quickly returned to customers who immediately drive them?...many, never to be parked back inside again. If their paint jobs didn't hold up, do you think they would stay in business?

Why wait until exhaust gets put on to put it in a 40 degree garage? Why not pick it up once he's done and take it directly to the 40 degree garage?

I would have it painted if he has the opportunity. Gives it all winter to cure.
I understand your point, but this isn't just a run of the mill Insurance repair that may look good for a year or two. It is an expensive paint job that took a lot for me to save up for. I have made arrangements to get the exhaust done, and want to before the cash gets away.
Thanks all for your input, I knew I would get good advice here. ...............................MO

Auto Transport Service
Back