• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colors.

Cojohnso1

Local time
3:52 PM
Reaction score
I believe Mopars of the day have the best body lines of the entire muscle car era. Which enables them to pull off and even shine some color combos that just don't work (At least as well) with the other players of that era.

But one color I have not seen work well? Is red. (Minus the Viper. But of course the Viper is not Muscle car era.)

Is it just me?

Red is a great color, I Really like red cars. But not reddish orange color cars. many folks don’t like red and state they will never own a red car.

1968-1970 Charger red with black top, bumble bee stripe and interior? Beautiful combo!

1967-1968 GTX in red is great also.

1968 1969 Dart GTS

936551F8-4037-4E1D-97B3-5146B5EA917B.jpeg A699C15D-62B4-4CB6-B07C-42CA09450E7F.jpeg 970D0C34-8363-4DA4-BFE6-5AB8E1798793.jpeg F08789A5-FEF6-4BB0-BA51-A2294A649D6F.jpeg View attachment 1108426 E7A0FD01-800A-4E36-8BD9-DB701ADDF437.jpeg

I am not a huge fan of red, but i have four red cars. One was inherited, the other three were bought used, in spite of the color.
Black is beautiful on cars, when they are straight and clean.... but mine were never straight, and seldom clean. I'll never own a black car again.

Never been a fan of Red.. But I've owned two red cars... Still own one & kinda miss the other one...

They look "Fire Engine" to me? I have a red Dodge Ram pickup. It's palatable to me because it's darker red. But even that leaves me wishing for different color. Even boring blue?

Maybe I'm just getting old and more conservative on color selection. (But I still think plum crazy purple looks great on E-bodies.) But I saw that same purple on a Camaro? And it just looked wrong?

I still think Mopar red looks wrong. Maybe because "Its so damn Red!"

There is one color that even tougher to swallow. YELLOW. A car needs some big time bling to pulloff yellow?

695386-d4cf778b1080a0e7d9ac90c5f1a22562.jpg

Last edited:
Yes that pale yellow isn’t too pretty on a muscle car. IMO

Conveniently our B-bodies were available in many actual colors, unlike today (black, silver, white with an occasional red or blue). Not all are for everyone, hence the choices. Red became sort of cliche over time, decreasing its appeal to me. If I had a car that was originally red though, I’d repaint it red.

Never was a butterscotch fan. A friend had a new fender tag made for a butterscotch A12 to make it white. Somewhere there's a white A12 out there (red stripe) that really was Butterscotch.

Not a fan of red either, not a hater by any means it's just to common but there is worse colors out there like brown. Something that always baffled me is how one car can look killer in a specific color but the same color on a different model just doesn't look right. Biggest one for me is the bright greens, they look awesome on E bodies but on a B Body... I just don't like it? Don't take offense anyone, we all have our likes and dislikes it just never worked for me. Just about any shade of silver to charcoal works for me on just about anything though especially when there's some black striping added.

I think red went out of favor years back when all the insurance companies said it was the most likely color to get in an accident, anyway I had a 70 Roadrunner that was red and I loved it!

Love me some RED!!! And I am not a fan of yellow but my buddy painted mine prowler yellow and he has since passed on, so we leave it yellow because it grew on me and its his color.

magnum1.jpg

carlisle2019.jpg

Yes that pale yellow isn’t too pretty on a muscle car. IMO
Hey I resemble that remark :poke:
I'll be honest and say when I found this car it was not my choice of color at all but it is a solid no rust car and chassis.
I will say the color is growing on me and I am amazed how many people tell me they love the color.

IMG_2498.JPG IMG_2524.JPG

Owww! You guys are killing me! Here are my cars. I also bought a 1969 Sunfire Yellow Superbee new. I bought a new 2000 Dodge Ram in red (if you looked at truck ads, you would think that was only color they came in). I was a firefighter for 20 years and drove those big red trucks. Color is subjective; I once saw a brown Ferrari. If we all liked the same thing, we would all be living at my house.

P4300117.JPG IMG_3215.jpg 1964 Dodge 1.jpg 1964 Dodge.jpg PB180011.JPG

As long as we're puffing out color preference here, I'll tell ya what Mopar color I despise. DESPISE. F8 green. Only because it seemed back in the day that every damned Mopar was that color. Everytime you saw one, the first words out of your mouth was "another green" ? So much so, that when I got my current project the first thing I knew I was gonna do, was to change that ugly bastard color. { Editor note: prior comments for entertainment purposes only. Except that it DID seem every Mopar in my area was that color. Truth is F8 is a beautiful color, but at the bottom of my color palette with all the other greens. }

Yes colors are a personal choice, you can find likes and dislikes for every color.

red got worn out by the resale red car flip crowd.

Lemonwedges car is a very nice one. It was kept nice by an older couple most of its like. I went and looked at it when they were selling it. I passed just because it was yellow. It was a great car otherwise.

Oh, by the way, the BEST yellow color ever produced by any manufacturer in the history of the automobile is Y1 = LEMON TWIST - TOP BANANA !!! { Editor note: my opinion, of course. Which makes it the truth. Of course. :thumbsup: }

Gold, its always gold for me.
Oh Man! You got me again! Factory Anniversary Gold car, I HAD to leave it that way. Pictures of another red car I built(was dark green metallic, yuk). One-of-none 1967 R/T wagon, complete with 440/4-speed, bucket seats, all R/T trim. It was BIG and RED! No longer have either one.

01[3].jpg 11[1].jpg scan0002[2].jpg scan0003[1].jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back