• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shift linkage

Rusty 72

Local time
2:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

So I'm putting my 1972 Charger back together after rebuilding the trans and engine.
When I got this car I found out the original trans (1972 A904) had been replaced with a 1968 A904. I'm assuming the cases of each are the same? I'm missing some of the original column shifter mounting brackets? Where does it attach to the transmission? I fabbed up a bracket that I thought would do the job but my exhaust is in that same spot and 2 things can't be in the same spot at once so...
I'm having a hard time even finding a bracket? Any body have any pictures of what it's suppose to look like down there?

Thanks in advance, Jeanette

ex 1.jpg ex 2_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Is this what I'm missing?

I'm thinking I need this bracket?

HF-50910.jpg

or this bracket?

HF-4513.jpg

These are from the '73 FSM, maybe it helps?

upload_2020-7-17_13-54-45.png

upload_2020-7-17_13-56-57.png

I have the 1972 FSM and that has the same image. For some reason it's not clear to me where this bracket would bolt too? and what bracket it is? thats the one I'm missing though.

upload_2020-7-17_13-56-57_LI.jpg

Look for a threaded hole in the case right there, if I remember right my '68 transmission had a stud screwed in there that the linkage attached to.

Is this what I'm missing?

I'm thinking I need this bracket?

View attachment 976238

or this bracket?

View attachment 976239
You need the top bracket. I'm in the process of the same rebuild on my 71 that some made a B&M floor shift. I like the column shift personally...only problem I'm having is the shift linkage is hitting the trans coolant lines so watch out for that.

ok I think I'm kinda figuring out what's going on here. I have a 1972 car with a 1968 transmission and I have this linkage as you can see from my pictures. Whether this linkage is from 1972 or 1968 I do not know.
My torqueshaft has this distinctive bend in it.
upload_2020-7-17_13-56-57-png.png

So I may have all the wrong linkage?

sorry I wasn't able to put it all in one reply. thanks.

All these different linkages and transmissions makes a person want to pull their hair out...seriously...

Hmmm. Ok I see what your saying but I feel like I tried that already and it didn't work? I can try it again when I get home from work.

I have put so much work into the car in the last 6 months and I'm on the verge of driving it if I can just get the darn linkages figure out.

Some cars do have the linkage underneath like u posted. But I thought it was later 70s. Kim

That's how this one is right now. That's part of the problem though, if this trans isn't original I have no idea if any of the linkage is either.

Thanks Kim for the offer for a bracket also! I'm still trying to figure out what I even need? :screwy:

The more i look at it I wonder if I need this bracket?
upload_2020-7-17_13-56-57-png.976265

hf-50910-jpg.jpg

I don't know...
Does anybody have a picture of a 1972 with a 1972 trans and 1972 linkages??

I see what you are saying 1972GY8SE but that isn't the set up I have.
For example that adjusting swivel is on the rear rod and what's in my car now (whether it's correct or not), the adjusting swivel is on the front rod like in the factory image with the "hump" in the torque shaft.

I appreciate everyone's help!
I don't have a preference for what set up it has I just want to make sure I have the correct set up for the correct brackets.

That is not the linkage I have. Is that what is suppose to be in there?

The factory manual doesn't help with all their "Carline, B, G, W....." What's the Charger car line?

Auto Transport Service
Back