• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shift reverse manual valve body or regular pattern auto shift?

68 Sport Satellite

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Anybody install a reverse manual valve body on a column shift car that sees mostly street use and wish they had gone with regular auto pattern instead? I need a big block 727 to back my 451 build and have this dilemma right now of which to choose. I think I would like the reverse manual at first, but not sure about long term.

I thought about with my Coronet, but I'm goin with a floor shifter. I've never done a reverse valve body on the column, but I think it would be cool. You would certainly remove the possibility of shifting into neutral.

not sure i would try to run a column shifted manual valve body.seems like it would get very old very fast.why not put a shifter on the floor for it?dont think i would like reaching up there to shift under any real power.

I've been envisioning what it would be like to shift all the time on the column, especially the once or twice at the track if I ever get this thing finished. I don't think I'd like it. Now if it was a floor shift automatic car, that's a different story.

So I'm left with a new dilemma - just go with a regular pattern 727 auto, or cut into my floor and convert it to a floor shift auto with reverse manual valve body. I do have bucket seats with the buddy seat in the middle....but it's a whole lot of work I wasn't planning on. Anyone do that conversion before? I'm usually a big fan of "run whatcha got". I may just end up keeping the column shift and in the future searching out a floor shift automatic car of a different year to add to the stable. I usually only suffer from GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome) but lately I've been hanging out with Meep-Meep a lot and now I've got MAS (Mopar Acquisition Syndrome)!

I have the column / floor dilemma with my 66 Bel. It's a column auto now and it's likely to stay that way. I have raced it several times manually shifting the column and so far so good. Just remain calm, watch the tach and when the time comes move one click. For a 12 second car that is probably fine, but as the car gets faster and the gears get lower, you will be looking for second pretty quickly!

As far as the reverse valve body goes I'm still considering it. But the car is not a daily driver like 68 Sport Sat will be. Eventually I'm going to go more radical in everything so the possibility of hitting the big N is higher.

Yep, pretty good hanging out with 68 S Sat. He also plays guitar and we end up having a little jam session at Mongo Motors right next to the 451. You heard of dog whisperers right? So what's wrong with a little music therapy on a block.

I did it. My 69 satty DD I had about 10 years ago was reverse pattern manual valve body on the column. It didn't get old at all. column or floor, either way you are having to shift constantly. It's like having a 3 on the tree without the pedal

Now if they made a reverse pattern auto that would be the ticket. Why don't they?

- - - Updated - - -

Getting a few quick posts in before I head to work.
Yeah I heard that some of the factory mid 60s cars had that from the factory. In speaking with John Cope of cope racing yesterday, he told me the reverse manual valve body makes the tranny stronger and longer lasting, as well as no need for a kick down cable assembly to work with my aftermarket intake and carb setup.

- - - Updated - - -

So if I got the reverse manual valve body and a year later change my mind, can I keep the trans and just swap the valve body and kick down linkage to go back to full auto or is it trans specific?

I don't see why a good transmission man couldn't make a reverse auto.

I think I will go with non manual valve body and keep the column shift. I suppose low band apply is a good idea?

I've never known an automatic valve body to be non low band apply......but I aint seen it all either.

In manual low the low / reverse band is applied. In drive break away you have the over running clutch and no low band. Perhaps what you are referring to is a mod that applies the low / rev band in drive break away?? I'm no auto tranny guru so I have no idea if that is even possible.

Been running one in mine for years. I like it. Cheeta Action valve body and 2800 stall converter. Just a 383 stock lower end with 906 heads and a mild cam. 4:56 8 3/4.

Yeah, just start in low! That's what I do.

But in the event I do take it to the track, I would start out in 2nd to burn out correct? During that burnout, shift to Drive or leave in 2nd?

I talked to CRT again and the forward pattern 727 I ordered has low band apply in 1st and Reverse only, just like stock. I just want to make sure that I don't have the drum over-run thing happen where I let off the gas after flooring it to do a burnout and it keeps spinning and explodes.

the low band apply refers to manual valve bodys.they can be made to do it in 2nd or low.or even none if desired.my low band saved my 68 chager from a major crash when the master blew while racing.poped it into low at 60 mph and locked the rear wheels until i hit 45.slowed down nicely.john knows his **** over at crt.i use all his stuff in my transmissions.

You start the burn out in low then shift to second and exit the water box in second.

I have a column shift SMR reverse manual valve body in my Super Bee 496 Stroker.The car has so much torque I would rather shift away from neutral than shift into it. Usually start burnouts in 2nd and hold around 3500-4000 rpm to heat the tires. 1.65 60 foots. Can pretty much shift 1st into 2nd @ 10-20 mph and street cruise in 2nd gear.
http://smrtrans.tripod.com/smrtransmissionsintro/id22.html

I have a RPMV in my 68 Sat with column shift. Love it, been that way about 18 years. Also have one in my mostly stock 318 duster.

Auto Transport Service
Back