• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Column shifter bulb

SDCoronet

Local time
11:53 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just started to take apart my steering column in an attempt to fix a few issues. Looks like there is a bulb in there to light up the shift indicator - mine looks like it melted down 30 years ago. Is this thing serviceable? There doesn’t appear to be a way to replace the bulb. I Will probably replace it with an LED anyway.

Secondly, I imagine I can’t take out the turn signal switch without taking the whole column out?

Thanks!

6ED93889-CBB9-42C9-8AE5-28531C8859F7.jpeg

Sure you can, but you have to remove all the wires from the plastic connector that joins to the dash harness to do so. Tie a string to the wires and then pull the assembly and wires out and pull the string through so you can reinstall in reverse.

The bulb socket will slide out of the housing. Then you can access it. I believe it's a 1448 bulb.

Auto Transport Service
Back